on Missouri public schools moved back

photo by Inyoung Kim

Missouri’s 57th governor, Michael L. Parson, signed a bill July 11, 2019 that will extend the summer break of 2020 for most Missouri students. 

Bill HB604 will force Missouri public schools to begin no earlier than 14 days prior to Labor Day, the limit will increase by four days from the past limit of 10 days. The bill will take affect to only public schools from the 2020-21 school year, 

Columbia Public Schools (CPS) released its board approved 2020-21 school year calendar. The first day of school has been moved back by 10 days since the 2019-20 school year. This previous year, Columbia Public Schools (CPS) began Aug. 15, 2019 but the new bill causes the 2020-21 school year to begin on Aug. 25, 2020;  the earliest day school can begin because Labor Day is Sept. 7. 

The delay of school will cause the 2020-21 summer break (June 3) to begin a week later than the 2019-20 school year (May 27). The length of winter break will not be affected, but the break between school and summer school will be shortened. Without a change in schedule the 2019-20 school year will have five days before CPS summer school begins, but in the 2020-21 school year there will only be three days maximum. Students will have a short period of time to transition from school to summer school.

How do you believe this new law could affect you?

Jason Yoo, freshman

Luke Stagg, sophomore

[/vc_column_inner]

Vaso Micheas, junior

Jaime Crites, senior

[/vc_column_inner][/vc_row_inner]

What do you think about the new school year calendar?