on Iran, U.S. Sanctions

In January, President Trump threatened Iran with fresh “punishing economic sanctions.” These sanctions come after the ongoing conflict in the middle east.

This particular conflict began when President Trump ordered an airstrike resulting in the death of General Suleiman, a top Iranian official who orchestrated multiple attacks which ended in the death of over 500 Americans. Then, in retaliation, Iran launched multiple missles which targeted U.S. military stations in the region.

Following the missles a Boeing 737 jet was shot down by Iran killing everyone on board. Iran, however, claims it was an accident. These sanctions were followed up on Friday with an actual implementation including several Iranian officials and economic sectors such as steel and oil.

Rising tensions with Iran are forcing Crude Oil, Gasolonie, and gold to gap up. At the time of the implementation, the S&P 500, DOW 30, and RUS 2000 indexes fell into their second negative distribution day mostly with Boeing (NYSE:BA) taking the bulk of the loss.

Flights through the airspace have been haulted.

In his address to the nation, President Trump mentioned he was planning to use these new sanctions to persuade Iran into a new and improved nuclear agreement. Markets were up at the time of the address.

While one may not think it, the conflict in the middle east affects all of us. From gas prices to the price of food.

Here is what the Sophomores of Rock Bridge’s think about the subject:We only did it [in response] to the embassy attack. I know we killed their general, but still, tensions do not need to escalate. 

[/vc_column_inner][/vc_row_inner]I understand the situation and why it escalated, but I do not think that these are the right steps… War with Iran would result in lots of lives lost on both sides, and we do not need that. These sanctions will cause tensions to rise further.

I think it could probably be effective at some point; then again the protests [in Iran] are going to really show the outcome and how long they last before we take further action… We can draw some similarities between these protests and Honk Kong as well, but at this point in the conflict, I would consider the economic sanctions to be un effective.

I would prefer we did not impose sanctions on Iran, especially with the possibility of traditional war. I think Trump needs to be diplomatic with Iran: just stop, wait a minute and talk with your advisors before doing things like this. There is no need to be hot headed about it, and things should be worked out by talking; I believe this will escalate the tensions.

Do you agree with these students? let us know in the comments!