Mavericks’ performance provides exceptional music, brings patrons together

Mavericks vocalist and guitarist Raul Malo performs at Columbia MO Roots N Blues N BBQ festival Saturday night, Sept 28. Photo by Sophia Eaton.

As the sun set on the second day of the Roots N Blues festival, fans flocked to the Great Southern Bank Stage to watch the Mavericks perform their hour and a half long setlist of latin-country-rock fusion on Sept. 28. The audience was so captivated by the performance and flurry of red, green and yellow lights upon the stage that the only reminder of the slowly drizzling rain was the occasional spotlight washing over the crowd that illuminated the drops in technicolor as they fell.

Behind the artists, lit up by the constant rotation of colorful spotlights was the number 30, with an adorned sugar skull replacing the zero. As lead vocalist Raul Malo explained between songs, the 30 represented the Mavericks’ 30th year playing together. It is no wonder their group has been so long standing, their stage presence was electric, each of the band’s members swaying, headbanging and even salsa dancing along with the audience as they played.

[spotifyplaybutton play=”https://open.spotify.com/artist/4Ud7lY9V8pOyydumajSW3O”/]

The prominent brass and percussion section performed by guest artists in each of the Mavericks’ songs is reminiscent of a mariachi band, likely drawing from Malo’s  Miami roots. Halfway through the band’s setlist Malo, who was dressed in a simple white button down and jeans, paused to joke with his audience about how his alma mater was “where all country stars are from”. Despite the Latin flare, the Mavericks’ music is distinctly country rock, relying heavily on the impressive guitar riffs and solos of lead guitarist Eddie Perez.

The smooth and almost crooning sound of Malo’s voice is well contrasted with the rock and roll electric guitar and keyboard of Perez and Jerry Dale McFadden. Even the outfits of the band seemed to reveal the diversity of sound provided by each of the members. 

As the Mavericks began their second to last song, Malo halted the music to call out to the left side of the audience, “Let him in.”

Malo proceeded to order the Roots N Blues staff, who were guarding the partitions between the VIP and general admission audience, to allow everyone to enter the much closer VIP area. As swarms of audience members pushed through the small gates, Malo repeated the same sentiment several times.

“It’s good for poor people and rich people to mingle,” Malo said. “It’s good for everyone because we don’t know how much longer we’ll get to play.”

The Mavericks finished their set at around 9:30, and despite the pouring rain, it is no doubt that the audience left with a new appreciation of the Mavericks and the diversity for which they stand.