The Lacewings tranquilize a worried heart

The Lacewings from the Roots N Blues website.

Walking up the paved road alone, I really felt like I was maneuvering into a different world, guided by a soft, angelic voice I could only somewhat hear. When the outdoor stage came to view, I stood in awe, not for the grand structure, but to Liz Carney. 

I made my way silently to the back edge of the VIP vestibule, trying not to veer anyone’s attention from the stage. A soft breeze cooled the arena, seeming to be brought on by the lyrics, “must be Christmas in the city.”

As a senior in high school, I attended Roots N Blues to have some fun, but still get work done as I would cover the event. Through these months, I’ve been stressed about a variety of things from applications to standardized tests. Oddly, while I couldn’t relax by a warm shower or binge eating cake, Carney’s syrupy voice eased my thumping heart and brushed a small smile on my face. 

Her voice will linger in one’s mind long after one hears her, complemented by the long whole notes of the base by Molly Healey and the rhythmic strumming of a guitar. 

One knows it’s good music when the audience seems almost afraid to talk, afraid to interrupt the tempo of the music and ruin the mood. 

Listen to The Lacewings here: https://open.spotify.com/artist/4QusGXouRxEXFtPCAQ8Dnv?si=2wNK2-3cRpS7yH0S4Hr7ow

The duo of Carney and Healy come together in perfect harmony that I sometimes forget it was two people singing at one time. They truly are a great musical pair. 

In an interview, Carney said they began The Lacewings after Healy listened to Carney’s other band “Bella Donna” live and was struck by her singing. Healy said she reached out to Carney after the performance to see if she would be interested in playing as a duo, and “we started practicing within a month.”

Carney said it was “nerve wracking” because of how much she admired Healy from the “Big Smith.”

“I was all nervous and sweaty,” Carney said, “and I kept messing up, but Molly was really gracious and slowed down. We started working on these beautiful songs and the harmonies were blowing my mind.”

What is your favorite part of Roots N Blues? Tell us in the comments below.