People of Roots N Blues – Matthew Schettler

Clysta and Brandon Schettler scoop ice cream during the Roots N Blues festival Saturday, Sept. 28. Photo by Bailey Stover.

During Roots N Blues, Matthew Schettler worked with his mother, Dana, grandmother, Clysta, stepfather, Brad, and two brothers, Brandon and Gavin, at his mother’s business, Hand-Dipped Ice Cream. The family’s business is made up of two parts: food and crafts.

Is your whole family working the business today?

“Yeah, we actually have the food booth and then we have a craft booth up there also.”

Is this a family business?

“It is. It is. Yeah, me, my two brothers, mom, stepdad and Grandma came.”

How did this business get started?

“I’m not sure. I’m just here to help.”

What is your favorite part of working this business?

“This event’s nice because it’s so busy.”

Do you enjoy staying busy?

“I do. The day goes by a lot quicker, sell a lot more, it’s a lot more worth coming to the event.”

Are you getting paid to do this, or are you just helping out?

“Yeah, mom pays us. It just depends on how much we make.”

What is your favorite part of working at Roots N Blues with the people and the atmosphere?

“It’s a pretty positive atmosphere. There’s not really any negativity at a fair like this, so people are generally pretty nice.”

Do you know how long this business has been running?

“The food part we’ve just done maybe for a year now. We’ve been doing the craft stuff for probably 15-20 years.”

What is the craft side of the business?

“We do a lot of snap jewelry, charms, sports jerseys. Just a little bit of everything.”

Do you know how that got started?

“It got started — my mom actually had booths in antique malls, and just from meeting people in there they told us about these craft shows.”[vc_masonry_media_grid grid_id=”vc_gid:1569811472132-91a569cf-a4d1-6″ include=”317641,317640,317639,317638,317637,317635,317634,317633,317630,317628,317626″][penci_text_block block_title_align=”style-title-left”]How do you think family plays a role in business? Let us know in the comments below.[/penci_text_block]