on the government shutdown

Feature photo by stockfilmstudio

Since Dec. 22, the U.S. government has been partially shutdown as President Donald Trump and Democrats continue to disagree over the creation of a U.S.-Mexico border wall. President Trump insists on funding $5 billion dollars into the development of the wall and said Monday, Jan. 14, he will not declare a national emergency. On the other side, Democrats refuse to agree to any new money for the wall.
This shutdown is the longest recording government shutdown in U.S. history, accumulating up to 27 days. Throughout the time period, 800,000 federal workers have been without pay.

A few key moments so far:

Dec. 22President Donald Trump partially shutdown the government in order to receive support for the creation of the U.S.-Mexico border wall.

Jan. 4 Sen. Lindsey O. Graham suggests to President Trump that he should allow the government to temporarily reopen. President Trump rejects the offer, and said “I want to get it solved [now]. I don’t want to delay it.”

Jan. 16The House OKs Democratic bill to reopen the government. The bill outlines government reopening through Feb. 8 and asks for $14 billion in emergency spending for recent hurricanes, wildfires and other natural disasters. The House approved the bill 237-187, but appears dead in the Senate. The White House said President Trump                                          will veto the bill if it comes to him.
Also on Jan. 16, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi asked President Trump to postpone his State of the Union speech. Pelosi said President Trump should either speak to Congress another time or deliver the address in writing. The speech was scheduled for Jan. 29. President Trump and the White House has yet to offer a response. [vc_text_separator title=”What are your thoughts on the government shutdown and how is it affecting the country?” color=”custom” border_width=”3″ accent_color=”#2bb673″][vc_text_separator title=”Photos by Atiyah Lane” color=”custom” border_width=”3″ accent_color=”#2bb673″]