Out of Line: A touch of light and dark

Photo by Camryn DeVore

My goal for this photo-shoot was to get people to come out of their comfort zones. Even though all three of the people in the photos are fairly comfortable around me, there were some uncomfortable laughs when it was time to pose for the camera. Covering someone in paint and telling them to pose as they please leaves for a fair amount of awkward giggles and blank stares. I often gave the subjects a suggestion for how to pose. Once they found a pose that they liked, I made small adjustments, such as their head angle, as well as hand position, so there was some level of structure. I think the beauty in this project was seeing each person choose the paint color he or she enjoyed and watching them paint themselves. They all came up with the same type of backstory to the series of photos. Sophomore Sarah Stelzer, the girl painted in blue and purple, was the good, whereas sophomore Amber Bittle, the girl painted red, was the bad. The male subject,sophomore , Peyton Sheeley, was the balance between the two. In some shots, Sheeley had only black detailing along his left collarbone and bicep ,while others appeared to have both the red and purple mixed into the black detailing along each arm. The creation of their story allowed the later photos to truly take character, and it is a shooting style I would like to take more interest in. This style consists of a photographer giving the subjects a story or emotion to convey instead of directing their poses. I have seen many photographers’ reviews that say that particular technique really helped their photo skills. So, when I do another shoot similar to this, I would like to try and come in with a story rather than pre-planned poses. The paint series overall was something I really enjoyed doing and would like to do again sometime in the near future.

Photo by Camryn DeVore
Photo by Camryn DeVore
Photo by Camryn DeVore