Artists of Rock Bridge: Lydia Thompson

Lydia Thomphson paints a fellow student for an art project.

Lydia Thompson, junior
Who are you and what do you do?
I’m Lydia Thompson and I love to paint and draw.    
Why do you do what you do?
I paint and draw because it is so satisfying and calming. It allows me to take my feelings and ideas and transfer them into pieces of art that others can see and also get something out of. Or I just like creating pretty things that are nice to look at.
What is an artistic outlook on life?
An artistic outlook on the world would probably be to look at the world and not just see black and white. There are so many more connections and layers to people and things, and I think being able to recognize that is very artistic.
What’s your favourite art work?
I do not have a favorite artwork because I find something new that I love every day. Art has many different forms, whether it be music, literature, photography, sculpture, or anything else created and unique, so I find things that I enjoy every day that I would consider art. Some of my favorite types of art though usually have a religious feel to it, a reference to something holier or heavenly, but I also love nude art because I enjoy seeing artists’ depictions of the human body and how beautiful and unique each piece is.
Why art?
I have always appreciated art but it wasn’t until sophomore year when I took art foundations that I realized I enjoyed creating it also. I never thought I was good at drawing or painting but I had never practiced. Something I learned is that you don’t have to be really good at a hobby to enjoy doing it, and I think once I accepted that, my work actually became better and more enjoyable. Art is fun because there are no guidelines. It’s so unique and each piece you create you put a bit of yourself into it.
What do you like about your work?
I like that I can look at something and usually be able to draw it. I never used to be good at drawing things but I can do it pretty well now, and it’s always nice to look at my art and see how realistic I can make it. I also love that when I paint, I can make any color I want, and if I mess up, I can just paint over it or incorporate it into the piece.
What is your dream project?
A dream project of mine would be to create a set of artwork that has a theme to inspire young women to be confident. I want to be able to capture the strength and beauty that all females have and somehow convey to the viewer that they are just as strong and beautiful.