Student View: Should the break be called Winter Break or Christmas Break?

Perhaps it’s a minor detail: should school districts call the December recess a more secular “Winter Break” or the religiously oriented “Christmas Break?” But terms such as these are debated constantly in the media. Bill O’Reilly, a conservative commentator on Fox News, has an annual habit of discussing the so-called “war on Christmas.” He believes the banning of mentioning religious terms such as “Christmas Break” is un-American.

On the other side, liberal commentator Cenk Uygur stated on The Young Turks that because the United States is founded on religious freedom, there really is not a “war on Christmas.” Instead, the elimination of religious jargon from schools is in order to be more open to students with other religions.

As of Oct. 11, 2013, a new law was enacted in Missouri stating that any public government entities, including public schools, are not allowed to restrict religious celebrations, discussions or practicing. This gives schools the freedom to celebrate Christmas or other religious holidays, and gives districts the decision of whether to call the December recess “Christmas” or “winter” break.
We asked students their views on what the break should be called:

“I don’t think it should be called Christmas Break because not everyone is a Christian here. There are Muslims, and people of other faiths, so I don’t think it’s fair to just call it Christmas Break because that only pertains to some people not everyone. Winter Break, that covers everybody.” Sophomore Anesu Mafuvadze
“I don’t think it should be called Christmas Break because not everyone is a Christian here,” sophomore Anesu Mafuvadze said. “There are Muslims, and people of other faiths, so I don’t think it’s fair to just call it Christmas Break because that only pertains to some people not everyone. Winter Break, that covers everybody.” Photo by Sophie Whyte

“Yes, [I call it Christmas break] I mean that’s just what I’ve always called it. My family celebrates Christmas, so that’s probably why.” Sophomore Lauren Tschiggfrie
“Yes, [I call it Christmas break] I mean that’s just what I’ve always called it,” sophomore Lauren Tschiggfrie said. “My family celebrates Christmas, so that’s probably why.” Photo by Sophie Whyte
“I think it should be Christmas Break because this is when Christmas is, and Christmas is a holiday, so just like Thanksgiving [was called] 'Thanksgiving Break'. So it’s Christmas Break and that’s when family should have presents and fun and a time to get back together with your family and just enjoy life.” Junior Hend Alrawi
“I think it should be Christmas Break because this is when Christmas is, and Christmas is a holiday,” junior Hend Alrawi said, “so just like Thanksgiving [was called] ‘Thanksgiving Break.’ So it’s Christmas Break and that’s when family should have presents and fun and a time to get back together with your family and just enjoy life.” Photo by Sophie Whyte
“I think it should be called more winter break because it is about Christmas and letting people have their time for that, but I think it’s also over a period that’s more than just Christmas so I would prefer it to be winter break over Christmas Break or anything like that." Sophomore Caitlynn Noltie
“I think it should be called more winter break because it is about Christmas and letting people have their time for that,” sophomore Caitlynn Noltie said, “but I think it’s also over a period that’s more than just Christmas so I would prefer it to be winter break over Christmas Break or anything like that.” Photo by Sophie Whyte

By Sophie Whyte

By Sophie Whyte