RBHS to hold annual FAFSA Frenzy

Photo+of+student+filling+out+the+2024-25+FAFSA+form.+Assistance+from+administrators+in+filling+out+the+FAFSA+form+will+be+given+during+the+FAFSA+Frenzy%2C+on+Jan.+25+in+the+RBHS+Media+Center.+
Bailey Blackburn
Photo of student filling out the 2024-25 FAFSA form. Assistance from administrators in filling out the FAFSA form will be given during the FAFSA Frenzy, on Jan. 25 in the RBHS Media Center.

RBHS will hold their annual FAFSA Frenzy Jan. 25 from 5:30-7:00 p.m. at the Media Center.

The purpose of the event is to aid senior families in filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). They will be assisted by financial aid officers from various colleges for free. The event is part of the Missouri Department of Higher Education’s Journey to College Program, and RBHS Director of School Counseling Rachel Reed said RBHS “gladly” hosts the event every year.

“We are motivated to host because we want to provide as much support as possible for our senior families,” Reed said. “The FAFSA is required in order to receive several types of financial aid such as institutional scholarships, not just federal grants or loans.”

Unlike past years, FAFSA Frenzy will be taking place in January and not October. This is because of the major changes FAFSA has undergone since last year. These changes include now releasing the form in January and shortening the amount of questions from 106 to 46. Additionally, all students, parents and spouses must allow the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to transfer any data they have directly into the FAFSA form. This has made the form difficult to access, frustrating students. Senior Denna Kim said these difficulties have complicated the financial aid process for her.

We want to help make college as affordable as possible for our students. Having the most access to financial aid is one way to do that, and the FAFSA helps connect students with that aid.

— RBHS Director of School Counseling Rachel Reed

“It’s only open at specific intervals,” Kim said. “Which makes it annoying to fill out because you have to stop everything and do it during the random moments of the day when it’s actually open.”

Although the initial sign-up process can be difficult and time-consuming, most parents have found that filling out their section on the FAFSA is significantly easier. Many families, however, are grappling with the form for the first time and hope events such as FAFSA Frenzy will be helpful. Parent Jason Morgan said he is glad for the guidance that events such as these provide.

“Overall, [filling out the FAFSA] was an easy process,” Morgan said. “But I think [FAFSA Frenzy] is a great idea and helps to alleviate some of the stress of securing student loans.”

The event will be held open house style, meaning anyone can drop by and participate at whatever time works for them. The only requirements are that dependent students have the following information ready: Student and Parent FSA ID information, social security numbers and a list of schools to which you have applied, been accepted to or are interested in attending. To access FSA ID information, both the student and parent must sign up at least 48 hours before coming, in order for FAFSA to verify the information. Other than that, Reed said RBHS is ready to welcome future college students and do the best they can to make the financial aid process easier.

“We want to help make college as affordable as possible for our students,” Reed said. “Having the most access to financial aid is one way to do that, and the FAFSA helps connect students with that aid.”

Are you going to FAFSA Frenzy? Let us know in the comments below.