RBHS sophomores now eligible to buy parking passes

RBHS+student+parking+pass+displayed+on+dashboard.+Starting+Jan.+29+RBHS+parking+passes+will+become+available+to+sophomores+to+purchase.+
Kaden Rhodes
RBHS student parking pass displayed on dashboard. Starting Jan. 29 RBHS parking passes will become available to sophomores to purchase.

In contrast to the beginning of the 2023-2024 school year, RBHS administrators are now allowing sophomores to purchase parking passes. They are available for purchase in the activities office.

RBHS originally made the decision to restrict sophomores from buying parking passes, making them unable to park on campus. This was done as a way to discourage underclassmen from leaving campus during lunch and Authorized Unsupervised Time. The rule, however, recently changed so that sophomores can start parking at school. RBHS Activity Secretary Amanda Perkins explained what students needed to obtain a pass. 

“[Students] need to pick up a form from the Activities Office to fill out at home (their parents/guardians need to sign),” Perkins said. “We also need copies of their insurance card and driver’s license, along with $25 in cash or check.”

Many sophomores disliked the restrictions on parking, as they thought they should be trusted to not abuse parking privileges and parking restrictions should be based only on individual circumstances. Sophomore Clair Beaty said that many of her classmates felt the inability to park hurt their parking and driving skills by not allowing them to practice in a safe area. Beaty was glad of the rule change and plans on purchasing a parking pass.

Parking is definitely limited. I’m pretty sure that [parking] is going to get more difficult with this new policy […] and availability [of parking spots] is definitely a concern.

— Senior Paola Diaz-Torres

“It sets you back on your driving ability a little bit,” Beaty said. “Overall [the rule] doesn’t allow you to be an experienced driver or mature your driving skills.”

With fewer sophomores parking at RBHS, many upperclassmen saw a decrease in traffic before and after school. Senior Paola Diaz-Torres said securing a parking spot was easier than before, and there was a noticeable difference in students’ parking skills. With sophomores now being able to park on campus, seniors are anticipating complications, such as longer exit lines and reduced parking options. 

“Parking is definitely limited,” Diaz-Torres said. “I’m pretty sure that [parking] is going to get more difficult with this new policy […] and availability [of parking spots] is definitely a concern.”

Even with the restriction put in place, RBHS administrators still found sophomores parking on campus, which ended up influencing the decision to discard the rule. Perkins said that while sophomores are now allowed to purchase parking passes, there are a limited number available, around 100, and preference for them is “first come, first serve.” 

With the opportunity to obtain parking passes, Beaty said sophomores are looking forward to embracing the independence, but recognize the need for responsible behavior to ensure the continued availability of parking privileges.

“I’m really happy about it,” Beaty said. “And I’m excited to sleep in later now that I can drive to school.”

Are you going to buy a parking pass? Let us know in the comments below.