City of Refuge hosted holiday market

maui danford

The City of Refuge held its first ever holiday market Saturday, Dec. 9 from 10 a.m.-6 p.m. at 10 N. Garth Ave.

The event featured over 40 vendors with a variety of different items for sale. The market  included artisan crafts, international food vendors, food trucks and performances by bands and school choirs. 

City of Refuge Director of Operations Garrett Rucinski said he wants the event to give Columbia residents a slice of the holiday markets that occur in Europe, where local vendors sell holiday related items to shoppers. The event  included both local and refugee artisans, which Rucinski hopes will help residents get to know each other and create a stronger sense of community. He said doing this is an important part of the City of Refuge’s mission. 

City of Refuge strives to help refugees and their families navigate a new life in Columbia,” Rucinski said. “One of the many ways we wish to do that is through community and togetherness. The holiday season brings forth these opportunities for togetherness and cheer.”

City of Refuge volunteer Eric Borden said he was excited to help out at the holiday market and thinks it will be a very lively event. He said he encourages Columbia residents to go to the market, as it will be a good way to get involved in the community and have some fun.

City of Refuge strives to help refugees and their families navigate a new life in Columbia. One of the many ways we wish to do that is through community and togetherness. The holiday season brings forth these opportunities for togetherness and cheer.”

— City of Refuge Director of Operations Garrett Rucinski

“The holidays can be stressful for a lot of people, but this event is going to be really relaxing, with tons of fun activities and performances to get people into the holiday spirit,” Borden said. “It’s going to be a great time to see and buy some amazing crafts made by our fellow citizens.” 

Rucinski said planning for this event first began in Dec. 2022. He said the whole experience has been a team effort that would not have been possible without help from various businesses from Columbia that sponsored the event, such as Simmons Bank, Hawthorn Bank, A1 Tools & Equipment Rental, Adam’s Plumbing, The Crossing and Minuteman Press. He hopes the event will help raise awareness for the City of Refuge and the refugee community. 

“We will be drawing attention to our current CoMo Gives campaign during the event and will have our Boutique open, both of which directly help fund refugee care,” Rucinski said. “Any proceeds that the vendors raise go directly to their own pockets. This means that local and refugee artisans are hopefully walking away after the event with profits in hand.”

Admission to the holiday market was free for everyone. Borden said he thinks the event will be a success and hopes the City of Refuge does it again next year. He said events like this are very important for refugees and Columbia as a whole.

“Going to the holiday market can really make a refugee feel like they are welcome in our community,” Borden said. “The holidays are all about being together and inclusive, and I think this market will really show this.”

Did you go to the holiday market? Let us know in the comments below.