Day 110

Day+110

Summer is a paradox. Today is July 5.

After a late night of fireworks and staying up to write my entry yesterday, I still couldn’t seem to fall asleep easily. One would think my sleep schedule would be regular after so many months of doing nothing, but it seems more random than ever. During the typical school year, and even at times during a regular summer, I have so many tasks to do and places to be that by the time I get into bed I’m virtually passing out from exhaustion. Now, however, my days are so uneventful I’m starting to wake up at noon and not fall asleep until well past midnight.

I know that’s not healthy, and I’m certain my circadian rhythm is throwing a temper tantrum, but I’ll get back to my regimented life soon enough. Once the school year starts back up in the fall, I’ll have to be up bright and early to get to my morning classes. I’m really looking forward to college. How I pictured my freshman year 365 days ago versus how I’m picturing it now is vastly different, but the basic principles remained the same. I think the number of social hangouts will decrease because of the coronavirus and social distancing guidelines, and I’ll not be able to flash smiles at other students as easily with a mask on all the time, but I do hope I’ll be able to make some good friends and learn something new every once in a while.

So far, even though we’ve exclusively communicated electronically, my roommate and suitemates and I are all seeming to get along well enough. I have no idea how to decorate a room, as is apparently by my hodgepodge of nursery posters next to volleyball medals arranged against a backdrop of my white room. I’m pretty sure I’ll agree with my roommate about whatever she wants to use to decorate our shared space. I have too many possessions, even though I’ve never been one for material items. For me, shared experiences, memories and the occasional sentimental, personal gift is enough.

Tonight’s sunset turned the trees into silhouettes. Photo by Bailey Stover.

Don’t get me wrong, I do enjoy a new phone charger or good book as much as the next person, but living a simple life without being weighed down by possessions seems right for me. As I think about that, though, I am a little bit of a hoarder because once I have something, I can’t seem to want to get rid of it. I’m sure, as with the rest of me, that will change with time.

Following my usual pattern of behavior these days, I didn’t do anything too exciting. I did make good headway watching most of the second season of Quantico, which probably isn’t too exciting. I am loving some of the conversations the series is bringing up about discrimination and stereotypes, and I hope to see the characters continue to grow and evolve as the series progresses. One hallmark of a good show, at least in my opinion, is when the plot line remains true, as do the characters, while the audience can still be surprised and shocked because it can’t anticipate every twist or turn.

In the evening, I got around to taking a shower and cleaning up. After being up at my grandpa’s house yesterday, I ended up tracking grass and dirt into my room, which I’m going to need to clean tomorrow. I’m both completely ready for summer to be over because I miss the schedule and order school provides, but at the same time I’m sure the minute I have to be at class at 8 a.m. I’ll be begging for summer once more. I guess I’ll just have to make the most of the time I have left. 

“Listen to me as one listens to the rain.” ― Octavio Paz

How did you spend your 110th day of social distancing? Let us know in the comments below.