Day+49

Happy Cinco de Mayo. Today is May 5.

My sleep schedule is an absolute mess, and staying up past midnight talking to my mom definitely didn’t help it. Because I wasn’t able to get to sleep until nearly 2 a.m., I subsequently slept in until close to 11:30 a.m. to try and get my 9 ½ hours of sleep. I had a few strange dreams that I think involved super powers and crime fighting, which was cool, but I woke up feeling groggy.

For about an hour, I lounged around. Then, at 12:45 p.m. I had a Zoom meeting with the newspaper staff. Only about five other people showed up, but nevertheless it was nice to see their faces. We talked about our lives, specifically our thoughts on graduation, prom and the end of the school year. I can’t believe we’ve already been out of school for seven weeks as of today. That feels completely surreal.

Once the call ended, I heated up some leftover pizza for lunch and watched an episode of Roswell, New Mexico. When I’d finished eating, my mom asked me to help my dad outside for a little bit. He was cutting a dead branch off a tree, so I held the ladder while he worked to make sure he was secure and didn’t fall off. I wish I’d grabbed protective ear gear because by the time he was done my head was ringing, plus, I had wood chips all over my hair and clothes.

When he’d finished chopping up the usable bits of the branches for firewood, I hauled the rest of the sticks and twigs off to the brush pile we have in our backyard. We have two large heaps of dead branches that, typically during the summer, we will light on fire and invite our friends over to our house for a bonfire. I’m not sure if we’ll be able to have one this year because of social distancing protocols, but I hope so.

When I was done working outside, I felt a little sleepy and lethargic, so I took a late afternoon nap. I hope it doesn’t mess up my sleep schedule further, though at this point I doubt that’s possible. I had initially planned on studying for a few of my upcoming Advanced Placement (AP) tests, specifically AP Literature and Composition and AP Calculus AB, but I couldn’t seem to get myself in the right headspace today. I’m worried that with the exams being a week out at this point I won’t have time to prepare, but I think if I really focus for the next seven days for the first two exams, I’ll be able to hold my own.

Because we normally go out for Mexican on May 5 each year, I had thought my family and I would make it tonight instead. Not to brag, but I do make a killer batch of guacamole. As the night wore on, however, I realized we were all doing our own things, so we ended up not eating together and postponed making the meal until another night in the week. I was disappointed, but I understood the importance of allowing each person to have his or her own space. When we’re all stuck on top of each other in one house constantly, cabin fever can become a bit intense. Taking time to do what makes each person happy is a good way to ensure our collective sanity.

“Change your thoughts, and you change your world.” ― Norman Vincent Peale[TS_VCSC_Lightbox_Gallery content_images=”330919,330918,330917,330916,330914″ content_images_size=”full” content_images_titledata=”caption” content_title=”A glimpse into Bailey Stover’s 49th day of social distancing” data_grid_preloader=”-1″ lightbox_title=”caption” lightbox_effect=”simpleSwitch”][/TS_VCSC_Lightbox_Gallery][penci_text_block block_title_align=”style-title-left” custom_markup_1=””]How did you spend your 49th day of social distancing? Let us know in the comments below.[/penci_text_block]