Counseling requires Scoir for transcript submissions to colleges

Photo by Will Cover

RBHS seniors must submit transcript requests through Scoir, a college admissions website, regardless of the platform on which one is applying. The school had this policy in place spring of last year, but this year it will be used for the entire school year.

Director of counseling Rachel Reed said although the utilization of Scoir for transcripts is more recent, RBHS has used Scoir for its other features, such as looking for colleges that match one’s interests, since 2016. 

“Scoir is a platform that allows our students a place where they can both research colleges and complete applications,” Reed said. “It’s nice to have everything in one place. It also allows parents and counselors to collaborate with students through the college planning and admissions process.”

Senior Shawn Yoo said he thinks Scoir is valuable in the college search junior and senior year, although he noted there were other free-to-access websites students could utilize for finding potential colleges.

“I see a lot of students not knowing what to do with college, so it’s a good start. It let’s counselors interfere with the process,” Yoo said. “It’s good for students who are looking for colleges based off of their interest, but there’s Niche.com. There’s [also] Common App in general, lots of locations you can find this without logging in and signing up for all the school stuff.”

Counseling made uploading transcripts to Scoir a requirement because of the ease of using one common platform with students.

“We use Scoir to send transcripts because it’s a more streamlined process – once your transcript release form is on file, there’s only one place you need to go to request all of your transcripts,” Reed said. “Additionally, Scoir easily keeps track of application data we need and also has a component that generates a graph that allows students to see their odds of being admitted to schools of interest-based on where former Rock Bridge students have applied and been admitted.”

Senior Inessa Verbitsky said although she finds Scoir very easy to use, she rarely visits the site and has not yet gone through the process of getting her transcript uploaded. 

Scoir hasn’t been useful to me personally in the college application process,” Verbitsky said. “[However], I think it could be useful for planning and organizing which colleges to apply to and seeing details about them all in one.”

As students get adjusted to using Scoir, Reed said the school will begin to use Scoir more and more as an aid to students when beginning to look at and apply to colleges. 

“We will continue to use Scoir and to implement its full capability more completely in years to come,” Reed said. 

What do you think of Scoir? Let us know in the comments below.