Bruins take two overtimes to down Hawklets

Boys’ basketball was able to squeeze out an intense double overtime win, 76-71 at Rockhurst last night, improving to 17-6 on the season and bringing their winning streak to five. This is the Bruins second game in a row that has gone into extra time, but also the third game in a row that senior Tre Williams and junior Eysan Wiley have made it into double figures, with 20 and 26, respectively.
It would be an especially good night for Wiley, as two of his 26 would come at the buzzer to bring the Bruins into overtime and continue an impressive late game run that saw them come back from a 13 point deficit that started in the third quarter.
This would be the Bruins’ eighth game on the season decided by 10 points or less, but in many ways it shows what head coach Jim Scanlon works hardest to improve on his team: free-throw shooting.
“This was another game that came right down to the wire, but what made the biggest difference was our free-throws late in the game,” Scanlon said. “I felt like we missed too many opportunities earlier on, but what we did do well was create points at the free-throw line.”
Moving onto the final two games of the season, Scanlon doesn’t want the tight wins to affect his team. It’s extremely important that they are able to focus in, as hometown rival Battle comes to RBHS next at a 4-19 record with the ability to pull off an upset like they did against conference foe Jeff City.
“I said it after last game and I’ll say it again, we’re gonna have to focus no matter who we play,” Scanlon said. “We’re playing some competitive teams in these final games, so now’s the time to set aside everything else and get through them.”
What do you think about the team’s five game winning streak? Leave your comments below.