Illusions: the double agent

photo by Alex Schroeder

Illusions is a novella written by Nicole Schroeder and Ashley Tanner, about a girl named Gemma who has the ability to see people’s true character at a single glance. Each post in the following blog series is one chapter of Illusions. 

To read the chapters on to four, click here. To read chapter five, click here

Elijah pulled off to the side of the street and parked. He got out of the car and opened the door for Gemma, extending his hand to help her out. He walked her to her door where they stood in silence.

Elijah’s heart was racing, she looked so beautiful. He lifted his hand to her face to push her hair behind her right ear, slightly brushing her cheek with the back of his hand. He leaned down and kissed the top of her forehead, she leaned into him.

“I need to get going,” he whispered.

“I know, I know.”

She took a step back, smiled, then opened the door. Elijah walked back into his car and drove off.

The sun had already gone down by the time Elijah arrived. He looked both ways as he crossed the street to make sure he wasn’t followed; he was headed to the law firm he worked at.

He pulled out his keycard that he used to unlock the door, and once again looked both ways before he entered. It was dark inside, unlike usual, the firm was empty. He made his way to the back of the building to what seemed like the supply closet. He reached towards the cold, metal handle and turned it.

A room dimly lit by a flickering light bulb revealed a room filled with cleaning supplies. He walked in and moved a mop that was covering a fingerprint scanner. He proceeded to scan his finger a secret room was revealed.

“Ah! You’re here!” Elijah’s boss, Theo Wolf, proclaimed.

Elijah smiled slyly and gracefully entered the darkly lit room.

Elijah seemed to fit right in. He took off his coat and threw it onto a chair. He walked past a series of large computers to a lounge area where Wolf and a woman sat.

The woman had a pale caramel complexion. She had delicate facial features that complemented her short, black hair.

“Say hello to my friend Jayde Spoon,” Wolf leaned over and kissed her on the cheek.

“Well hello Ms. Spoon and Wolfgang,” Elijah kissed her hand. “I am pleased to meet you.”

Elijah then focused his attention to Wolfgang.

“Ah, yes. Jayde if you will excuse us, we have business to attend to.”

She got up and walked out of the room.

“So, what can you tell me about Gemma?” Wolfgang asked with a villainy grin.

Elijah thought about it for a moment. Gemma, a girl who he had known since high school. A girl he had grown fond of for a second time. A girl he found himself thinking about when he probably shouldn’t have been. A girl who made him feel, something he hadn’t done in a while.

“Uhhh…” Elijah couldn’t meet Wolfgang’s gaze.

“Now, now. Remember the mission. The mission was not to fall for her. It was to get to know her. To gather information on her,” he paused for a moment. “So, what have you learned?”

“So far, not so much. Her roommate’s name is Irene, she was also on the newspaper staff. She is a year younger than I, a year older than Gemma. They have been best friends for as long as I can remember.

“Gemma basically goes from home to work, and back to home. She works at New Perspectives, where she has dreamed of working for years. When she does go out, she goes to Simon’s Bar and Grill, where Irene works. Or to The Daily Roast, her favorite coffee shop near her apartment. Other than that, she has the occasional grocery store trip, and dates with me.”

“That’s not enough. You need to learn what makes her tick. What she would live and die for. What or who she thinks about just before she falls asleep. Every single minute detail you can find out, the closer we will be to phase two.”

Elijah nodded in agreement.

Wolfgang stood up and led Elijah to the door.

“I’ll see you at work tomorrow.”

Elijah started to step out the door when he felt Wolfgang grabbed his arm tightly and yanked Elijah around. His eyes filled with disdain.

“If you let me down, I will end you.”

Elijah met Wolfgang’s gaze.

“I will get the job done.”

He yanked his arm out of Wolfgang’s grasp and walked away.