Mission statement on brink of reconstruction

For the past 10 years, administrators and staff have attempted to fulfill the RBHS mission statement of “Where Learning is for Life.” With the intent to motivate and guide students’ mindsets, the RBHS mission statement has been a topic of discussion at staff meetings.
Because voting took place a decade ago, some staff members felt recently hired administrators needed a chance to provide input.
During the past two years, teachers and student council have collaborated to narrow down a list of possible new mission statements for all stakeholders to vote on.
Last week, RBHS students voted on the new mission statement options. The executive council counted up the results at their Tuesday meeting and will be releasing results to staff, and students on Nov. 13.
“We really just wanted to take a pulse check with the school,” Art teacher and executive council member Abbey Trescott said. “We wanted to re-examine what our mission was as Rock Bridge community and get more of a consensus with the faculties. And so three years ago the executive council started this process and now we’re at the point where we have our final ballot and we are ready to make a decision.”
Voting for the current mission statement is still an option. Trescott said after examining some of the proposed mission statements, many believe the current mission still holds true.
Still, others believe the school as a whole could benefit from something new, as change can bring fresh perspective and attitude.
“The current mission statement really doesn’t need to be changed,” sophomore Josh Bessey said. “Learning really is for life, and it needs to continue to motivate people. Without learning people can’t get anywhere in life, and so it’s important to realize your education doesn’t stop after high school.”
As a student at the time of the current statement’s approval, alumna and math teacher Angel Renick feels similarly to Bessey.
Renick said the short, yet powerful message rings true although she wouldn’t mind a new motto.
She believes the current mission statement is efficient at captivating the RBHS mentality.
“Back then, I liked ‘Where learning is for life,’” Renick said. “When I was a student, RB teachers encouraged us that once we left not to stop, but to keep learning and to keep pursuing better things.”
Although seemingly insignificant, Trescott believes a mission statement can be important to a school.
Providing guidance to students, the statement can be a source of motivation for both students and staff.
“Our hope is that a mission statement can be something the faculty can rally behind, especially the new members,” Trescott said. “They can bring that mission into the classroom and use it as a kind of jumping off point for conversation. All this should be wrapped up into our mission so that students understand why we do the things we do at RBHS.”