Wrestling falls hard to Jeff City

Junior+Josiah+Kline+wrestles+Dennis+Barnes+of+Jefferson+City.+Photo+by+Erin+Kleekamp.+
Junior Josiah Kline wrestles Dennis Barnes of Jefferson City. Photo by Erin Kleekamp.

Entering the dual last night the RBHS wrestling team knew it was in for a steep challenge facing off against an undefeated Jefferson City dual team that boasts a slew of returning state medalists.
The dual started on a positive note for the Bruins, at 106 pounds junior John Flanegin filled in for sophomore Brock Davis who is recovering from sickness and picked up a major decision, winning 18-5. Davis offered high praise for his teammate following the dual.
“John really showed up tonight,” Davis said. “He wrestled well and put points up on the board for Rock Bridge, he was the MVP of the night for sure.”
The Bruins conceded an open at 113 and lost at 120 bringing up junior returning state champion Josiah Kline at 126 pounds in his first match back from a knee injury.
“I’ll admit I was a little more nervous than I usually am,” Kline said, “Since I’ve been feeling about 75% of what I know I can do and just everything felt hesitant, instead of me just being able to flow and let everything happen.”
In the 126 bout Kline recorded a 12-1 major decision over returning state qualifier Dennis Barnes.
“He was better in my head than he was on the mat,” Kline said. “When I started wrestling I felt slow, but at the ending of the match I picked up five points in about 30 seconds and almost pinned him.”
At this point in the dual the team score was still close with Jeff City leading 12-8 but in the middle weights the Jays would pull away recording falls at 132, 138, 145, 152 and 160 pounds.
At 170 pounds senior Graham Ratermann recorded a 11-1 major decision to score the final four points for the Bruins as Jeff City swept through the upper weights to end the dual 65-12.
The Bruins are next in action at home against the Moberly Spartans on Friday for senior night.