Wrestling season finishes at state championship

Photo by Randi Obermiller

Feb. 2, two wrestlers qualified for the state championship: sophomore Marquis McCaster and freshman Anna Stephens. Stephens is the first female wrestler in RBHS history to make it to the state championship. Nearly two weeks later on Feb. 15, McCaster and Stevens stepped inside the University of Missouri’s Arena, calculating their next possible moves.

For Stephens, walking into the Mizzou arena made her realize how incredibly far she had come and that she had made history. Despite the intimidating size of the venue, Stephens and McCaster supported each other through the pinning, pushing and sweating the two endured.

“We just kept each other’s spirit’s up so that we could wrestle to the best of our ability,” McCaster said. “It was a team effort, we encouraged each other to do well.”

In the end, the two competitors had been beat, but their spirits weren’t in the slightest. Although Stephens was upset over the loss, her determination, tenacity and her father pushed her through as she prepares for her future wrestling endeavors.

“My dad was my cushion to fall on, and my emotional support for when that happened,” Stephens said. “I hope to make state each year and I don’t have to win it I just want to place, but I do want to win and I just have to work really hard for that gold at state.”

With the end of the wrestling season came a new event in the history of RBHS wrestling. McCaster believes that his teammate is making history, but she still has three years to write her story.

“I feel that her legacy is currently being written,” McCaster said. “Although she isn’t leaving for another three years but when she leaves her mark it will definitely have been left.”

As the next season comes closer with each passing day, Stephens is hoping she will use her talent and athleticism to make her mark, and is excited for her future seasons over the next three years.

“I do hope that I will inspire girls to come out for wrestling when they have heard about my story I’m writing,” Stephens said.  “Someday, I will end that chapter and start a new one when I go to college.”