Girls’ soccer shot out by Hickman High School

Seniors Haleigh Fancher and Laurie Frew fight for possession of the ball. Photo by Jazzmine Matthews.
Seniors Haleigh Fancher and Laurie Frew fight for possession of the ball.   Photo by Jazzmine Matthews
On May 7, RBHS girls soccer took to the field against the in-town rival, Hickman High School. No goals were made in this game until senior Haleigh Fancher scored in the first half.
However, HHS didn’t allow for a shut-out and countered when a lost mark on defense in the middle of the second half allowed them for an opportunity for a goal of their own.
With the score tied at 1, these two teams went into overtime. No goals goals scored in this allotted time which meant one thing for the already tired girls, a penalty-kick shootout in which RBHS lost. During the shootout, however, each shot and each moment had its effect on the players senior midfielder Breta Phillips said.
“Everyone lined up together and we started off all in the same position, leaning over with our hands on our knees,” Phillips said, “but that lasted for only one person’s shot before we were all in our various habitual nervous positions. We all cheered for each shooter and for our keeper.”
Though the team relies heavily on the goalie in this type of scenario, the girls didn’t get angry with theirs after the game since penalty-kicks are a high stress, mainly guessing game for the goalies.
“You can’t really blame anyone. Every single person on the team left everything they had on the field,” senior defender Carly Raetz said. “Things just didn’t work out in our favor this time.”
The loss itself, although saddening, was easier to take for Phillips since it was in penalty-kicks and not from the field.
Penalty-kicks “are almost always going to procure the same feelings. Everone is nervous. [Penalty kicks] aren’t really a good way to win or lose,” Phillips said. “It doesn’t say much about either team because on any given day the outcome could be completely different.”
Strengths of the game itself were portrayed through both teams when the game went into overtime in Raetz’s opinion. Neither team allowed for a goal to set them over for the victory.
“Every soccer game has ups and downs, give and takes,” Raetz said. “We didn’t give up even through the overtimes and everyone gave their all.”
With five games before districts, both Raetz and Phillips likes how the team looks going into the post-season and think the style of play the girls have acquired over the season got them ready for the tournament.
“I think we are in good shape to be going into districts. We have had some great games,” Phillips said. “Now we just need to pick up the consistency, and we will be golden.”
By Justin Sutherland
See the girls upcoming senior night Friday, May 9 at 6 p.m. on the Rock Bridge field.