Model United Nations off to NAIMUN

The Model UN team traveled to Washington today. This is a view from their hotel. Photo by Ross Parks
[slider source=”media: 259077,259076,259075″ height=”340″ speed=”500″]As of today, the Rock Bridge Model United Nations team headed off to the North American Invitational Model United Nations competition. Though now a regular to the competition in Washington, DC, RBHS has had a few changes in the line-up of events from the typical.
This year, only one of the three original heads of the club was able to return. New to the group of sponsors comes both AP government teacher Chris Fischer and AP United States history teacher, Gretchen Cleppe.
As the group heads off to competition, hopes  are high. However, this year is yet in another way special and for the team both tensions and pressure are high. Last year marked an especially successful year for the team.
“I think the expectations for success this year are incredibly high this year, considering that the team as a whole performed better last year than we have in a decade.” senior Sara Ashbaugh said. “[The transition] has been difficult, but…I’m much more involved and focused this year.”
Still, while the spirits of the competitors may feel stressed, the spirit of the competition remains the same as young adults from across the globe gather to discuss the topics pressing both to the present and past. “It really teaches social skills and perseverance,” said senior Brianna Weaver from The Harvey School of New York.
However, with weather making things difficult, with three weather alerts, including a winter storm warning which could dump up to eight inches, competition has begun to thin out as schools have been unable to show up due to the conditions.
“I just really hope we don’t get stuck in… but I heard some schools won’t be able to make it,” Weaver said.
Overall, the weather, distance, and  with both old and new leaders as well as members, the members of RBHS’ MUN team, “are ready to win” senior Adam Zighouani said. “We are ready to prove once again we are competent and able to compete successfully.”
By Ross Parks
Have you been to DC? What were your favorite sites?