Courtwarming to be held at Hilton Garden Inn

Seniors Andrew O’Haro and Annie Phillips gave ballots during today’s elections for class representative. Photo by Shaun Gladney

[heading size=”16″]StuCo will open theme voting to student body[/heading]

[poll id="143"]

As Courtwarming week draws closer, Student Council prepares for the festivities. A theme must be chosen, the dance must be arranged and activities must be organized. While Student Council has already done most of the work, the task of deciding the theme of Courtwarming falls to the student body.

“For the next few days, Friday through Tuesday, the student body will have to vote on one of three theme ideas that Student Council has come up with through the school website,” President Senior Jack Schimpf said. “Based what the student body says they want, that will then become the theme for Courtwarming.”

After the student body votes for the theme, Student Council will then be able to prepare activities and the assembly. Schimpf also hinted at question and answer sessions with the king candidates. Senior Zach Cook said that Student Council would set up a voting booth for the next few days.

“The themes are R.B.T.V., Around the World in 80 Hours and A Game of Life, Rock Bridge Edition,” Cook said. “Voting will be in the main commons.”

Sophomore Drake Short said that Student Council would also be advertising on social media. For homecoming week, more than 900 students voted on the theme. Student Council aims to get even more votes this time around.

The dance itself will be on that Saturday night, Feb. 22 at the Hilton Garden Inn. Schimpf said that it will be like any other Rock Bridge dance, only offsite. Because of its out-of-school location, Schimpf said that decorations would be kept to a minimum although the dance will still have a DJ along with refreshments. However, the decorations will have to be planned later.

“We can’t really plan for the dance until the theme is chosen,” Short said. “Once the theme is chosen, [the Hilton] can plan out the decorations and stuff, which is all coordinated by Student Council.”

Once Feb. 18 arrives, four days of fun activities and outfits will dot the halls, culminating in the dance on Feb. 22. TV stars may walk the halls or tourists may come to visit, but whatever the theme there will always be Rock Bridge spirit and a Courtwarming king.

By Derek Wang