Crane leads Bruin wrestling; focuses on dedication

On and off the mat: Senior Sam Crane , a Mizzou commit, is the natural leader of the Bruin wrestling team. Crane, left, wrestles a Kirksville opponent on Dec. 3 at Rock Bridge.  By Maribeth Eiken
On and off the mat: Senior Sam Crane , a Mizzou commit, is the natural leader of the Bruin wrestling team. Crane, left, wrestles a Kirksville opponent on Dec. 3 at Rock Bridge.
By Maribeth Eiken
[heading]Senior Sam Crane talks about his dedication as a wrestler.[/heading] It is certainly true that RBHS is a powerhouse for outspoken high school athletes in the state of Missouri. There are few wrestlers finer than senior wrestler Sam Crane, who committed to the University of Missouri, which has one of the best wrestling programs in the country. Crane isn’t the only RBHS wrestler to commit to wrestle at a university this year, as his teammate senior Quinn Smith committed to South Dakota State University.
Crane already has a connection with the university’s wrestling program, as his brother Taylor Crane also decided to wrestle for the Tigers, and is now an assistant coach for his younger brother’s team at RBHS.
Beginning the season with two-time National All-American honors, Crane is motivated immensely by the sport of wrestling. Crane, the No. 84 overall recruit is his class and an astounding record of 141-7, is also a three-time state finalist and won the 132-pound state championship as a sophomore.
“What has inspired me in the sport of wrestling is to do the absolute best that I can in my training, competing, and life itself,” Crane said. “In wrestling you learn to get off your back, in life you get thrown onto your back a lot.”
Although wrestling is purely an individual sport, with a lineup of a team splitting the competition into individual matches, senior wrestler Grant Maledy emphasizes the importance of support in matches and practice from teammates, a task that he says Crane accomplishes well.
“They [teammates] are your support during matches,” Maledy said. “Also they give you advice when you need help as well.”
Senior wrestler Hunter Blume goes into detail about the day-to-day teamwork that improves the team’s psychology and ability. The encouragement, he said, provides a boost to all of the wrestlers on the team, as friendships between teammates cause support in practice, competition, and outside of wrestling.
“Every day the guys are in the room challenging and driving each other to become better wrestlers,” Blume said. “Teammates are also the ones who root you on, they drive you to get that last second takedown or escape to give the team much needed points that may win the dual.”
Although the sacrifices are many, Crane deflects the severity of them. Crane’s commitment to become such a revered athlete must be filled with discipline.
“Some of the struggles I have faced could be not getting to hang out with friends as often at night or on the weekends,” Crane said. “But some of my closest friends are wrestlers so it’s alright that I have that time taken away by the sport that I love.”
Crane, who has been wrestling since the age of five, is certainly one of the top leaders of the team, who has been “leading by example.” He is known as one of the hardest workers on the team, and demonstrates dedication and discipline to the younger wrestlers.
“[Crane]’s willing to do anything he has to do to better himself,” Blume said. “And in doing so, he betters everyone around him.”
Blume also says that he’s a close friend of Crane, who have been connected by the sport for a long time.
“Sam and I are good friends, we wrestled together since kids club,” Blume said. “And he’s a great guy, who’s always there for you.”
As an athlete who owns a fair share of excellence in both leadership and ability, Crane has much to look forward to in his future at the collegiate level of wrestling next year after he graduates from RBHS.
“I’m looking forward to being on one of the best Division I collegiate wrestling teams in the nation,” Crane said. “To be a part of a great team and to also be great myself, on and off the mat.”
By Luke Chval