Educational ballots lead to involvement in voting

RBHS PAC serves as one of the city's voting areas. Photo by Muhammad Al-Rawi.
On Tuesday, April 2 adults and students over the age of 18 around Columbia had the opportunity to vote on a 40-cent levy increase and a $50 million bond, both of which would raise property and real estate taxes and for new buildings and the expansion of educational needs.
US Studies teacher Jennifer Cone encouraged all registered voters to take part in the ballot and vote for the levy and bond.
“We desperately need [the tax levy] because we have cut almost $19 million from our budget because of the economic downfall,” Cone said. “The bond issue is also another critical one because we need more buildings, and we have got to get rid of our trailers, and we have to get our class sizes down.”
Like Cone senior Kelsey Garnatz also pushed her peers to cast their votes. Garnatz believes voting for any sort of election is helpful to society as that is how the outcome is decided.
“I think it’s our job as citizens to vote. The property tax vote is extremely important in that it decides whether local schools can get more funding or not,” Garnatz said. “I voted yes because I don’t think there is anything more important than educating the local youth.”
Just like Garnatz, Cone believes anyone can vote should in order to create a successful and involved community.
“I believe strongly that anyone is 18 and able to vote should vote because the biggest ticket items on the ballet deal with our schools,” Cone said. “Those are the two biggest issues and I believe strongly everyone should vote for this because the conditions of your schools is a direct correlation to the conditions of your community. So it we take care of our schools, then our community will thrive.”
By Maddie Davis