Sophomore injured in soccer game

Sophomore injured in soccer game
Sophomore Reggie Tyler shows school spirit in his green and gold casts. Photo by Halley Hollis
Sophomore Reggie Tyler set out with his club soccer team this past Sunday, March 4, to play in just one of their many tournaments this spring, hoping for a win. Instead, he returned home with multiple injuries.
How did you get hurt?
It was at a soccer game in Kansas City. I got slide tackled while I was trying to jump-kick a ball, and it messed up my leg.
Did you know immediately that it was bad?
Yeah, I heard and felt a big pop, and I started screaming bad words afterwards. I didn’t know my wrist was broken; I thought I sprained it, but I found out a few days later I broke it, too.
How long were you in the hospital?
It took about six and a half, seven hours. They ended up x-raying everything separately, and then putting the cast on took a really long time. They had to set my shinbone, but I probably won’t have to do any surgery. They’ll check my knee out after I get my cast off to make sure, but it should be just fine.
When will you be able to take the casts off ?
I’m going to have to have the wrist cast on for five to six weeks, and as long as I’m in that I have to be in a wheelchair because I can’t hold a crutch. But I have to have the leg cast on for six to eight weeks.
How soon will you be able to play soccer again?
I should be fine before summer even starts, and I should be able to go to all the preseason tryouts for all the games.
How have your friends supported you?
They’ve all gotten a hold of me and asked if I’m doing all right, and some of them help push me around, which is cool.
What has been the hardest thing so far?
Probably cleaning myself since I can’t take showers or baths for six weeks, so I have to use washcloths and sponges, which suck, and my mom has to do my shampoo in the sink.
By Daphne Yu