Bruins host night of fundraising

BRUIN AUCTION STUFIn the past calendar year, the Bruins collected four state titles. To support these teams and other RBHS squads, the school is hosting the “For the Love of the Game” fundraiser, starting at 6 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 7 at RBHS.
“[The fundraiser] helps fund capital improvements for RBHS athletic facilities. This year the money is going to be used enhance the stadium the district is providing,” co-chair Kay Hake said. “We’re getting a new stadium in the fall of 2017, and the money we’re raising will help pay for extra things not covered by the district.”
Hake said the new stadium will be built to make RBHS equitable with Battle and Hickman high schools. The primary motivator for the renovation of the stadium is the addition of more seats for spectators to come and watch home games.
The money raised will also contribute to the renovation of the field’s bathroom and concession stand, as well as the purchase of athletic equipment for other sports. The proceeds help fund signage throughout the school to celebrate RBHS athletic accomplishments. Two hours into the event, dinner will be served. Entrance to the fundraiser is restricted to adults over the age of 21 since the event will include alcohol. Throughout the evening, a silent auction will run. It is divided into three classes: green, gold and champion. These describe the cost of the item. Green level is for items under $50, gold for up to $200, and champion items will sell for $200 to $500.
For those not in a bidding mood, there will also be raffle as well as opportunities to buy funded items requested by RBHS coaches. There will also be a stop-n-shop feature where patrons can purchase things such as gift cards at face value.
Previously the money has gone to training equipment and storage facilities. Last year, the fundraiser was able to contribute to a new training room and new equipment. In 2012, fundraising helped purchase the trophy cases outside of the gym.
“Every year we always net $100,000, so that’s our goal. Over the past 12 years we’ve netted 1.2 million for Rock Bridge athletics,” Hake said. “But the goal is obviously to raise enough money to help the coaches get all of the money they need.”
The evening will also feature motivational speaker, triathlete and cancer survivor Teri Griege.
“Hopefully my story with sports will be an inspiration for everyone there who wants to support high school athletics at the school,” Griege said. “I don’t know if I would be doing what I’m doing today if I hadn’t been in high school in team sports.”
infographic by John Flanegin and Skyler Froese