Young Bruins carve out roles

Photo by Jae Rhee.

Seniors are often the catalysts for RBHS sports, leading their teams to district and state titles as well as cementing themselves as some of their sport’s best and brightest in their four years as a Bruin. But what happens when these pacesetters cross the stage in Mizzou Arena and flip their tassels from right to left?
Luckily, for a multitude of RBHS’ distinguished squads, underclassmen are waiting in the wings hoping to pilot their team just as those before them.
[heading size=”17″ margin=”10″]Two titles in two years for duo of sophomores[/heading] Girls Tennis : Faith Wright and Katherine Dudley, sophomores — This dynamic duo has amassed two state titles in their first two years and have proven themselves as a force to be reckoned with, both individually as well as in doubles play. Dudley and Wright, who make up the lady Bruins’ No. 1 doubles team earned second place at this year’s state tournament, adding another medal to their already extensive collection. With the coming departure of seniors Tess Lovig, Ronni Farid and Hannah Pohl, the two are sure to inherit a large role as leaders of one of RBHS’ most storied programs.
[heading size=”17″ margin=”10″]Next 3 years full of promise for Sowers[/heading] Girls Golf: Olivia Sowers, freshman — In her freshman season, Sowers was a welcomed addition to a team that would finish fourth in the Class 2 State tournament. Posting a two-day score of 177, Sowers would earn herself a tie for 51st place, and with three full years left in her RBHS career the future seems bright.
[heading size=”17″ margin=”10″]Swimmers make their marks, break records[/heading] Swimming: Dane Florea and Zach Lorson, sophomores — The pair proved their worth at the CoMo Invitational on Sept. 26, with Lorson setting a school record in the 100-yard breaststroke and Florea securing one in the 200-yard individual medley. The two’s performance would help earn the Bruins a win in the invite over rival and 12-time straight state champion Rockhurst.
[heading size=”17″ margin=”10″]New kid in town gives boost to cross country[/heading] Boys Cross Country: Kylan Rottinghaus, sophomore — Rottinghaus turned heads after moving from Illinois to Columbia this summer, immediately making an impact on the varsity team. Rottinghaus finished 15th in the Kearney Invitational, posting a time of 17:31.8, helping the boys squad take home a first place trophy in the meet.
[heading size=”17″ margin=”10″]Cleeton serves as team leader despite youth[/heading] Volleyball: Maddie Cleeton, sophomore — It should come as no surprise that outside hitter Cleeton appears on this list, as she was one of the focal points on a squad that posted a 3-24-1 record. The 5’8 Cleeton leads the lady Bruins in kills in numerous games including matches against Battle and Hermann amassing 13 kills and posting a .636 hitting percentage. As a junior, Cleeton will inherit the keys to a rebuilding team and hopefully be able to make volleyball a force once again for RBHS.
Is there anyone you thought we missed? 
What do you think of these underclassmen’s performances in their respective sports?
Let us know in your comment below.