The dream of pictorial future satisfied

The dream of pictorial future satisfied

When she’s not doing normal high school activities such as working or hanging out with friends, senior Jordyn Stanford is chasing her dream of being a photographer.
What first got you into photography?
Well, I got my first camera when I was five or six years old, and I was always really interested in how they work and different things, and I started working with just digital photography then got really into film photography. It was more like my curiosity and stuff, like the way things work is how I got into it.
What is the difference between digital and film photography? Do you have a preference?
Not really, it takes a lot more time to work with film because of the developing process and everything, but I like them both equally because you can still manipulate how things are going to turn out and everything regardless of whether you’re using digital or not.
I know you’ve done some senior pictures. Is that an independent thing?
Yeah, I kind of started out a few years ago. I was just taking pictures of friends and stuff and all of a sudden people were like, ‘Will you do my senior photos?’ and I was like, ‘OK, why not?’ So I started doing enough of them so I was like, ‘I could totally make an income off of this, so why not?’ And then I just started getting all of these people that wanted me to take pictures for them, and family pictures and baby pictures.
So do you plan to work for a photography company?
I did get offered an internship at a photography company, and I’m planning on doing that in a couple months.
What does photography mean to you?
Photography is basically like… It’s everything to me, honestly, like it’s something that I want to pursue and do for the rest of my life; it’s something that I truly enjoy.
What are some things that have inspired you?
Well, my favorite photographer is Mary Ellen Mark. She was a really raw and edgy photographer, and she’s been a lot of inspiration for me, but honestly I’ve kind of developed my own style. I don’t really try to copy off of anyone. I get inspiration from different photographers, but I always try to do things my own way.
Do you have a favorite thing you like to photograph?
People definitely because, I don’t know, I don’t really like photographing landscapes and stuff because it’s kind of boring, but with photographing people you can really capture personalities, and I just like working with people.
Do you have a favorite picture that you’ve taken?
My most recent photo shoot with [senior] Lexi Veros. I really like a lot of those pictures because she’s one of my best friends. I got to work with her and her boyfriend, and it was just a lot of fun; you can really see who she is through those photographs. I’m really proud of them.