Attorney General speaks in PAC

Today, at 1:30 p.m., about 40 students gathered in the Performing Arts Center lobby to listen to Missouri Attorney General Chris Koster speak and answer questions about his responsibilities.
Organized by the Young Democrats’ club, the talk was initially intended to cater to the members of the club. But co-president Kate Okker Edging said as the club started preparations, members of Young Republicans, Future Lawyers of America and the Advanced Placement Government class and other interested students were invited to attend.
Koster said the main jobs at an attorney general’s office are to serve as a prosecutor, a consumer protection agency and as a general counsel for all thirteen departments of the state government.
His profession, he said, however doesn’t feel like a job.
“I have loved since the day I have been in [this] office,” Koster said. “I love what I do. I feel like I haven’t had a job for 17 years because I just get up and do what I do.”
At the end of the talk Okker-Edging said she thought the experience was valuable regardless of one’s future career aspirations.
“I thought it was interesting,” Okker-Edging said. “I am thinking of potentially a career in government, more along with foreign policy, so it was interesting to see how passionately he felt about what he was doing and how he really loved it, and even at the state level, he thought he was making a difference.”
By Shivangi Singh