Bruins find success in speech, debate tourney

Members of the Rock Bridge Speech and Debate Team went on the road last weekend to participate in the Clayton-Ladue Speech and Debate Tournament. Half of the tournament, held in Clayton, Mo., comprised the varsity events, while the competition in Ladue featured the novice group from each school.
Contests included Poetry Reading, Extemporaneous Speaking, Impromptu Speaking, Interpretation, and the Lincoln-Douglass Debate and Public Forum Debate. Ten RBHS students placed in these categories, with eight students making it to finals. Varsity placed well with Alex Gregory receiving sixth in Impromptu Speaking and fourth in Lincoln-Douglass Debate, but it was the novice category that shone.
“Debate is really growing here at Rock Bridge,” said junior Andrew Hutchinson, an extemporaneous speaker. “We have really great novices. Last year everyone was terrible, but the novices are so incredible right now.”
At the novice tournament, Annorah Harris and Dolphina Operle placed fourth in Public Speaking, Sarah Dweik placed third in Interpretation; Michael Hawke placed second in Extemporaneous Speaking, and Hawke and Taylor Buster placed first in Public Forum Debate.
Another highlight of the RBHS performance was Syed Ejaz and Rick Flinn’s fourth place finish in the champ division of Public Forum Debate.
“That was incredible,” Hutchinson said. “Champ is everyone who qualifies for state and nationals.”
The next tournament for the team is Dec. 3-4.
By Asa Lory