Free holiday events hosted within Columbia community

Photo+of+the+Christmas+tree+outside+of+the+Shelter+gardens.+
Karl Sobieck
Photo of the Christmas tree outside of the Shelter gardens.

The holiday season brings plenty of cheerful activities to Columbia, many of which are free to the community.

Shelter Gardens will host a “Winter Wonderland” Christmas lights show from Friday, Dec. 8 to Saturday, Dec. 16. The show will last from 5:30-7:30 p.m. every evening and will be free for anybody to walk through. This year will mark the third annual show, as “Winter Wonderland” made its debut in December 2021. Jay MacLellan, spokesperson for Shelter Insurance, said the gardens will feature a variety of displays for families to enjoy. 

“Part of our mission at Shelter Insurance is to give back to the [Columbia] community,” MacLellan said. “[‘Winter Wonderland’] is yet another way we can do that.”

Additionally, Rose Music Hall located on Park Ave. in downtown Columbia will host a holiday market on Saturday, Dec. 16 that is free to the public. The market lends itself to all age groups through offering a performance from “The Fried Crawdaddies,” visits with live reindeer, food, drinks and crafts.

I don’t have a personal favorite amongst the displays within the ‘Winter Wonderland. More so, I really enjoy seeing kids with their families walking around in the enjoyment of the holiday season.”

— Jay MacLellan, Shelter Insurance spokesperson

Another Christmas lights display can be found on Brookthorn Court. Viewers are welcome to drive through the neighborhood and tune into the 91.9 FM radio for holiday music that accompanies the lights. On Saturday, Dec. 16, the neighborhood lights show will be hosting “Grinch Photos” from 5:30-6:30 p.m., and though watching the lights is free, they ask for a donation to the Friends of Mid-Missouri Fischer house in exchange for pictures with the Grinch.

These activities are just a few among a host of holiday cheer in the Columbia community. RBHS sophomore Isaac Beary said he plans to attend the Shelter Gardens “Winter Wonderland” for the third year this December.

“[My favorite part of the holidays] is going to see Christmas lights,” Beary said. “[I recommend Shelter Gardens] because they have good designs.”

There are many holiday events around Columbia to enjoy free of charge: from Christmas lights, including the Veterans United show, to holiday markets, there is something for everyone. MacLellan said the holidays have the ability to bring a community together and attending these types of events are an integral part of that.

“I don’t have a personal favorite amongst the displays within the ‘Winter Wonderland,’” MacLellan said. “More so, I really enjoy seeing kids with their families walking around in the enjoyment of the holiday season.”

Do you plan to attend any of these events? Let us know in the comments below.