Homecoming nominees released, kicking off homecoming season

Homecoming+Barbie+banner+by+RBHS+Student+Council.+The+dance+is+to+be+held+Oct.+7.+
Bailey Blackburn
Homecoming Barbie banner by RBHS Student Council. The dance is to be held Oct. 7.

RBHS’ homecoming court members were announced Sept. 20 at the end of the school day. Ten seniors were nominated  to kick off the homecoming season, at the end of which two seniors will be crowned at the annual homecoming football game on Oct. 6.

This year’s nominees are seniors Sophie Connell, Matthew Frerking, Yasmine Green, Ella Hendershott, Ruby Hord, Christian McCarty, Coopers Myers, Reese Richardson, Ajay Tosh and Zay Yontz. 

These seniors were nominated out of a larger pool of nominations by their fellow seniors. Bassoon first chair Ruby Hord, one of the nominees for homecoming court, said being nominated felt “super cool.”

“I have been wishing to be on court since sophomore [year],” Hord said. “It feels like a dream becoming reality. I’m extremely grateful and honored to be on this year’s court.”

The rest of the voting will be carried out by the whole school, where all students will be able to vote for the two seniors who will be crowned at the homecoming football game. 

“I have been wishing to be on court since sophomore [year]. It feels like a dream becoming reality. I’m extremely grateful and honored to be on this year’s court.”

— Ruby Hord, Senior

Leading up to the game, students will participate in royalty voting alongside a schoolwide homecoming assembly run by Student Council (StuCo). StuCo has set up homecoming festivities, which StuCo President Madeline Malone said includes picking the dance’s theme, setting up school-wide fundraisers and choosing spirit days. 

“I think homecoming brings festivity,” Malone said. “[There is] more school-wide involvement through royalty voting, games, the assembly and football game announcements.” 

This year’s spirit days include a Country-Western day, a Dress as your Future day, a 1980’s Neon Beach day, and the classic Green and Gold day. The StuCo-sponsored fundraiser will be a blood drive for the American Red Cross, which will take place on Sept. 26 in the auxiliary gym. The theme for this year’s homecoming dance taking place Oct. 7 will be Come on Bruin, Let’s Go Party, after the global success of the famous Barbie movie, and tickets are available for purchase for $5. 

The homecoming game will take place on the RBHS field, where the Bruins will play Battle High School’s Spartans. During the game’s halftime, two of the nominees will be crowned either king or queen since none of the nominees identify as non-binary. The crowning will be followed by a performance from Emerald Regiment, the RBHS marching band. Tosh, homecoming nominee and member of the marching band, mentioned that it will be a quick transition for him from the announcement to his performance. 

“Regardless of the outcome, I will have to quickly dash off afterward to get set up for our marching band show,” Tosh said. “It will be hectic, but I know it will be an incredible and unforgettable experience.” 

For this homecoming season, whether or not RBHS wins or loses its homecoming game, Tosh said he prioritizes memories over winning. 

“Being part of such a special tradition and making lasting memories with my classmates is what matters to me most right now,” Tosh said. “I have had so many great experiences at this school, and I am so excited to have many more over the next few weeks.”

Hord shared that sentiment, excited to participate in the first homecoming dance which has not conflicted with her schedule.  

“Originally, I wanted to win,” Hord said. “But after seeing the other people on court, I’m just happy to be here.”

What do you think of this year’s homecoming court? Let us know in the comments.