RBHS boys’ soccer wins against Hickman High School

With+his+hands+out%2C+Shae+Abram+%2812%29+gets+ready+to+receive+the+ball+from+Maddox+Hardy+%2811%29.+
Maui Danford
With his hands out, Shae Abram (12) gets ready to receive the ball from Maddox Hardy (11).

RBHS defeated Hickman High School (HHS) 2-1 at home, Tuesday, Sept. 19. 

The intensity of the varsity game was immense due to the deep-rooted rivalry between the Bruins and the Kewpies, rendering the stakes high. Because of their quick offense and strong defense, HHS was undefeated this year until facing the Bruins. 

Center-back senior Reese Richardson said the Bruins primary strength is their forwards number nine, junior Henry Jenks, and number seven, junior Parker Rainwater.

“I think that we’re really good up top, we have two really good forwards,” Richardson said. “Parker and Henry, once they get on the ball, they can just fly by the defense. Once they get up, our whole team is up and we just do the second rebound and score.”

The game started with Lance McNally’s goal for HHS. Despite the good start for HHS, RBHS scored two goals during the first half. Jenks scored the first goal, and after many blocked shots, number six, junior Abe Soete scored the Bruins their winning second goal. 

I think that we’re really good up top, we have two really good forwards. Parker and Henry, once they get on the ball, they can just fly by the defense. Once they get up, our whole team is up and we just do the second rebound and score.”

— Senior center-back Reese Richardson

Head coach Christopher Horstmann said that he was confident in his team, and felt like they could beat the Kewpies.

“I thought we could win for sure,” Horstmann said. “I was surprised to go down early and I think the guys were too but I think the result is appropriate.”

The second half did not yield points for either team, with both defenses playing effectively. When the clock was set to 24 seconds, HHS had a chance to score, but Rainwater knocked the ball off the field, leading RBHS to victory.

Richardson also said some objectives of the game weren’t accomplished, but the main objective  to win was fulfilled.

“I wanted to have a clean sheet, which is zero goals allowed. But the first couple minutes, they got a go on us which was kind of disappointing,” Richardson said. “We came back and got two more so the goal was a shutout but the ultimate goal is a win and that’s what happened. So I’m happy about that.”

What did you think of the Bruins’ win over Hickman? Let us know in the comments below.