Day 100

Day+100

Let’s celebrate the 100th post, folks! Today is June 25.

When I first started writing these posts, I wasn’t sure how long I’d keep them up. I’ve set arbitrary deadlines, my 100th post being one of them. As this day approached, though, I decided I wanted to keep writing. I’ll have to have a final entry one of these days, but that day won’t be today. 

I ended up accidentally getting my wires crossed this morning and almost overslept a bike ride with my parents. Luckily, my dad woke me up just in time. After getting my gear in order, my dad and I headed out to meet my mom. She had been at a meeting at RBHS talking about the basics of running the school’s journalism program. I honestly have no idea what’s going to happen with the newspaper, website and yearbook next year. I can only hope young leaders rise to the challenges next year is sure to present.

On our way to meet up with my mom, I realized my sunglasses were broken. At first it was just a small crack, but when I picked them up a whole side fell off. We stopped by Academy Sports to pick up a new pair so I wouldn’t have to use my non-sports sunglasses. I saw a number of customers wearing masks, which made me happy, and the whole stop didn’t take more than 10 minutes. I got two pairs of sunglasses, one to use and one as a backup. As my dad likes to say, even though I’m not a Boy Scout, one should always be prepared. 

My mom arrived at the trailhead a few minutes before we did, so she was ready to go when we arrived. I wouldn’t necessarily have to wear a helmet while I rode because we were on a trail and not a main road, though I’m not completely sure on the laws surrounding bike helmets in Missouri. Either way, wearing one makes me feel safer, especially with my track record of crashing and unintentionally flipping over my handlebars. I’ve got the scars to prove just about every crash I’ve had, and I wear them with pride. 

Our ride lasted about an hour and a half. The trail was beautiful, and lots of people were out and about. I doubt it did any good, but every time I had to pass a walker or another cyclist, I held my breath. Except for the few patches of direct sun, the weather was perfect with shade and a light breeze. I wished we could have been riding up in Canada and gone swimming when we finished, but getting lunch at Uprise Bakery wasn’t a bad second option.

After our bike ride, my parents and I ate lunch at a local restaurant. Photo by Bailey Stover.

Our lunch was the first time I had eaten at a restaurant in the last 100 days. We had picked up takeout several times, but I hadn’t been anywhere public for longer than absolutely necessary. The restaurant had taken precautions, and we ate outside away from other people to limit contact. On a separate note, I would like to state for the record Uprise Bakery makes one of the best B.L.T. sandwiches I’ve ever had. I could hyperbolically eat it every day for the rest of my life and still love it. 

After we finished eating, my dad went to the store to pick up groceries while my mom and I headed home. I finished watching the second season of Roswell, New Mexico then enjoyed a few episodes of Chuck with my parents. I love that we have a show we can watch together. We didn’t have time for too much TV, though, because my mom had a book club meeting and my dad had a birthday Zoom call for a friend. While they were gone, I decided to watch the 2018 movie A Quiet Place. I had heard good things about the film and when it came to Hulu I thought I’d check it out. I love seeing sign language become more mainstream, especially with actors and actresses who are actually deaf. I’ve never been much of a horror fan, but I did quite enjoy the movie, despite the sad moment I won’t specify about 20 minutes from the end of the film. 

While I was watching, two people showed up at our house with money to purchase yearbooks. I’m glad so many people want them, but it’s odd having strangers show up unannounced while I’m eating popcorn and watching a horror flick. Hopefully all this will be over soon enough and my mom can start to enjoy her retirement without this added stress. When my mom got home, my parents and I continued watching Chuck because we were in the middle of an especially juicy episode. 

Tomorrow I’m going to have to deal with National Scholastic Press Association photo submissions, but I’m thankful my co-Editor-In-Chief Anna Xu dealt with the written submissions. I am also hoping to (finally) bake those apple fritters I’ve been craving. Regardless of whether I get to baking or not, my main goal is waking up before 11 a.m. I wonder what day 101 will bring? 

“Do not spite the darkness, for the dark has its own wisdom. Do not worship the light, for too much of it might leave you blind.” — Daniel Saint