Day+97

The air smells like maple. Today is June 22.

Leftover French toast is absolutely the right breakfast decision on a lazy day. I know I keep saying I want to eat right and get in shape, but sometimes I need my sugar and carbs to pick me up in the morning. I’ll go back to eating oatmeal and yogurt soon enough, but syrup covered slices of bread can be hard to beat.

I didn’t have any plans for my day, so I took my time waking up and moving around. Initially there was supposed to be rain in the afternoon, so I had planned on going for a walk sooner rather than later. My plan went astray, though, when my hips began to hurt. I don’t stretch well before or after working out, so sometimes my muscles give me trouble. I should take more care of my body, and I’ll probably regret not stretching later in life, but I’m taking advantage of my youth and being naive, at least for now.

I spent the majority of my day re-watching the first season of Roswell, New Mexico. My brother likes to tease me for re-watching shows instead of finding new ones to view, but some series act as comfort food for my mind. If I’m having a bad day, I might want to eat mashed potatoes and ice cream; if I want to shut my brain off for a while, I’ll turn to simple, familiar television shows. I believe everyone should have a way of feeling at ease in life, so if I find solace in fictional aliens and characters, then that’s fine by me.

In the afternoon my grandpa stopped by our house after getting his stitches out. I didn’t see him, but he called later on to talk to me about college. I’ve been having some issues with my schedule and academic advisor, and he wanted to see if I’d heard any word back from her. I’d gotten an email earlier in the day from my advisor about scheduling an appointment to talk Wednesday, so I let him know I’d have more information after we spoke. I feel like the whole mess with my schedule could have easily been solved with a conversation in the first place, which wouldn’t have made me feel patronized and frustrated the way this situation has. I have my fingers crossed after we speak Wednesday I’ll be able to move forward and have a great start to college, despite this bump in the road.

Before dinner my mom and I walked outside to look at her vegetables. She is so proud of them, even though animals have eaten some of her plants, and I’m really happy for her. She had picked some cucumbers and small tomatoes, so we ate them. They tasted fresh, clean and sweet. I’m going to be spoiled with fresh vegetables if she keeps this up, but I’m not complaining at all. I’ve never had much of a green thumb, but perhaps I can learn from her in the future.

After we ate, my dad suggested he, my brother and I get ice cream at Andy’s Frozen Custard. On the drive there I made them listen to my music, which I’m pretty sure they ignored. We got our custards and then drove to Stephens Lake Park so my dad could eat his without it being melted. Sometimes when he has to drive home after we pick up our treat, his whole custard ends up turning into liquid sweetness instead of retaining its semi-solid from. The whole experience was a lot of fun and reminded me a little of spending time up in Canada when we’d be driving back from listening to bagpipes on Saturday nights.

When the three of us got home, we and my mom headed downstairs to play Spades. Despite their best effort, my dad and I beat my mom and brother. My mom blames the card, but so long as they’re working in my favor I’m not going to say anything. Tomorrow I may be going to RBHS to help my mom pass out yearbooks, but she still hasn’t decided if she needs the extra set of hands. Even if I don’t want to, I’m also going to make myself do some sort of exercise, likely a walk. I feel more productive and happy when I’ve done something physical instead of sitting around all day, so I’m going to hold myself accountable by writing down my plan so tomorrow I’ll have to feel the guilt if I let myself down today.

“I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.” ― Sarah Williams, 19th century poet[TS_VCSC_Lightbox_Gallery content_images=”331404,331405,331407,331408″ content_images_size=”full” content_images_titledata=”caption” content_title=”A glimpse into Bailey Stover’s 97th day of social distancing” data_grid_preloader=”-1″ lightbox_title=”caption” thumbnail_size=”full” lightbox_effect=”simpleSwitch”][/TS_VCSC_Lightbox_Gallery][penci_text_block block_title_align=”style-title-left”]How did you spend your 97th day of social distancing? Let us know in the comments below.[/penci_text_block]