I was proud of myself for checking renewing my driver’s license off my to-do list today. Photo by Bailey Stover.

Missouri weather sure is strange. Today is June 3.

Apparently 9 a.m. and I are not friends because no matter how many alarms I set I can’t seem to rouse myself before 9:45 a.m. I had intended to get up early and go biking before the day got too warm, but my body keeps demanding more than nine and a half hours of sleep to function. Instead, I eventually tumbled out of bed close to 10 a.m. and prepared to go riding. I tossed on bike clothes, filled my water, applied sunscreen and grabbed my headphones and music. I know riding with headphones on major roads or roads with cars isn’t safe, but because I was going to be in a semi-secluded area I felt safe bringing music. I was out the door by 10:30 a.m. and set out for my ride.

I followed the same path I’d ridden two days ago, but this time I was able to change gears easily and didn’t accidentally take a wrong turn, so my whole route was about 10 minutes shorter. Even though I’d had lots of water the day before, I felt dehydrated and finished drinking my whole bottle of water before I got home. I didn’t see anyone walking, running or biking when I was out, but anyone who’d wanted to exercise had probably been smarter than I and finished before the temperature rose. I’m not sure how hot it got exactly, but I was thankful for every stretch of shade I found. Overall, though, I had a really great ride and felt tired and exhilarated by the end. Any time I exercise I end up feeling accomplished and proud of myself for taking the time to focus on my health and fitness. I’m sure in the future I’ll thank myself for the sweat and hours of work I put in now, though for the foreseeable future my muscles and lungs aren’t too happy.

When I got home, I talked with my dad for a few minutes before refilling my water and heading out to our hammock to cool off. I brought a banana out, too, because I hadn’t eaten anything all day and was sure my body could use the fuel. For about half an hour I simply rested in the shade, fighting off the cotton fluff floating around and listening to music. I felt relaxed and at ease, and I went inside only because I felt the need to change out of my gross, sweaty clothing.

My dad jokes that once a week I have to take a shower whether I need it or not, but today I absolutely needed a shower. I could feel the dust from the road all over my body and the oil from my sunscreen clung to every inch of my skin. I took my time showering and shaving, and by the time I stepped out I felt refreshed and happy to be clean. I’m not sure what my aversion to showers is because I like them so much, but whenever my parents suggest I take one I rarely seem to be in the mood. I dried off and tossed on shorts and a tank top, wrapping my hair in a towel to let it dry.

I planned on renewing my license in the afternoon, but I didn’t want to go with my hair still sopping wet. I made myself a bowl of Greek honey yogurt with granola and blackberries as a snack then browsed through Netflix to see what I wanted to watch. To my joy and surprise, I came across a sort-of sequel to a 2016 movie I’d loved called High Strung. The sequel, High Strung Free Dance, was incredibly engaging with a breathtaking score and stunning choreography. I was enraptured. I absolutely love both movies’ focus on creative performance and artistic expression, and I highly recommend anyone and everyone who has the chance to watch both films.

Once my hair had dried enough, I changed into a nicer shirt and headed to renew my license. Unlike the last time I’d visited the license office and seen a crowd of 15 people, today I was the second person in line. Before all this started, I didn’t pay too much attention to how close I stood to those around me, but now I try my best to have a bubble of personal space so I don’t accidentally infringe on another person’s safety. I didn’t have to wait long, and the whole renewal process probably didn’t take more than 10 minutes in total. I was surprised none of the workers were wearing masks, and I only saw five other people wearing masks: two sets of mothers with their sons, and one older man. I felt like the odd person out, but I wanted to take every precaution to protect myself and those around me. When I got home, I washed my hands thoroughly so I didn’t contaminate our house, and I avoided touching my eyes, nose or mouth when I was driving after being around other people. 

In the evening, my parents and I ordered Las Margaritas for dinner. My mom had been doing yard work all day, and she didn’t feel like cooking, so we got takeout instead. We hung out downstairs and watched Chuck while we ate. My brother was at a protest downtown this evening, and between two of our episodes he called my dad. My brother told my dad he’d received a ticket for blocking traffic, and I was glad he hadn’t gotten arrested or worse. I worry for his safety, and the safety of his fellow protestors, both because of the police presence and because of the coronavirus. This is a difficult time for countless reasons, and I hope everyone is taking the necessary health and safety precautions. Tomorrow my dad and I are planning on making French toast, which will be fun. Each day is a gift, and I don’t want to take another one for granted.

“Curiosity, especially intellectual inquisitiveness, is what separates the truly alive from those who are merely going through the motions.” ― Tom Robbins[TS_VCSC_Lightbox_Gallery content_images=”331187,331180,331181,331182,331183,331184,331186″ content_images_size=”full” content_images_titledata=”caption” content_title=”A glimpse into Bailey Stover’s 78th day of social distancing” data_grid_preloader=”-1″ lightbox_title=”caption” thumbnail_size=”full” lightbox_effect=”simpleSwitch”][/TS_VCSC_Lightbox_Gallery][penci_text_block block_title_align=”style-title-left”]How did you spend your 78th day of social distancing? Let us know on the comments below.[/penci_text_block]