Day+48

Color me surprised. Today is May 4.

Waking up this morning, I could sense something was going on. Instead of allowing me to stay in my usual crumpled pajamas and bed-head all day, my brother and parents encouraged me to wear nice clothes and brush my hair. I kept pestering my brother, and he eventually told me RBHS Principal Jacob Sirna was coming over to give my mom an award. Assuming there would be some sort of family picture, I tossed on a nice but casual outfit.

I had no idea what was going on when a small army of teachers and administrators came into view walking up my front yard and driveway. I’d had no prior notice anyone aside from Sirna would be coming over, so I didn’t know at all what to make of it all. Upon walking outside my house at noon, a raindrop hit me directly in the eye, which in turn confused me further and made me laugh. I guess that’s just my luck to have some bizarre stroke of nature happen in front of an audience. Regardless of my initial confusion, I quickly realized the award wasn’t for my mom: it was for me. I was shocked and deeply touched when I saw several of my former teachers holding homemade signs, flowers, balloons and cards.

Principal Jacob Sirna's description of the W. Wayne Walker Outstanding Senior Award
“Dr. Wayne Walker was the first principal of Rock Bridge High School. Each year, an award — The W. Wayne Walker Outstanding Senior Award — is given in his honor to the senior who possesses the qualities of resourcefulness, optimism and academic ambition and has given exceptional service to Rock Bridge High School. This year’s recipient should embody what Dr. Walker envisioned for students of Rock Bridge when the school opened in 1973.”

As soon as everyone had formed a large semicircle in my front yard, Sirna started to speak. He told me I was the 2020 W. Wayne Walker Award recipient. Walker was RBHS’ first principal, and he served for 20 years. Each year one senior receives the award, and my mom informed me “the school administration and faculty consider it the highest honor” RBHS has. The award is typically announced at the Flashback assembly, but because school isn’t in session in person currently, I received it via a surprise at my front door.

Once Sirna finished speaking, studies teacher Debra Perry came up to hand me some balloons and gave me a hug. I am a hugger by nature, so I didn’t think anything of the physical contact until I heard a reaction from the onlookers. I’d forgotten we were in the midst of a pandemic, but I laughed and reassured them all I was highly unlikely to be sick or in any way contagious because I’d been socially distancing and had rarely left the house in nearly seven weeks at this point. My freshman year Spanish teacher Esteban Pedrazas also gave me a beautiful bouquet of flowers, which I greatly appreciated.

I wasn’t exactly sure what to do at that point, largely because I hadn’t known any of this was even happening until everyone was at my house. I decided I should probably say a few words. As per usual, I rambled a little but spoke from my heart. I tried my best to express my gratitude and thanks for every single person who was present. Every single person in attendance has had a positive, meaningful impact on my life both in and out of the classroom. I think I spoke for less than a minute, so I hope I was able to convey all the kind emotions I was feeling. I ended with, “Thank you so much, and I love you all so much.” 

I have never been great at handling public praise (most of the time I just stand awkwardly and smile as I did today), so to be completely honest I couldn’t even remember the name of the award until I asked my parents after everyone had left. I was so glad my dad took a video of the whole experience because without it, I’m pretty sure everything would be a blur. Driving across town and standing in the rain, these outstanding educators and human beings showed me how glad I am to have spent the last four years at RBHS. I could not have asked for a better support system, and I will never forget (even with my awful memory) their impact on me and my life.

I saw later in the day Sirna had posted about me getting the award on his Instagram account, and I was surprised and elated to see the kind comments my friends and peers left. I am a buffoon when it comes to using social media, so I wasn’t sure what to say or how to respond. I am so deeply touched I would even be considered for the W. Wayne Walker Award, much less be this year’s recipient. 

I ended up crying once everyone had left because I don’t think my emotions were quite sure where else to go except for out of my eyes. During the rest of the day, I was a bit of an emotional mess. I keep thinking the strange end of the year isn’t affecting me, but then moments like this happen, and I’m a puddle of melancholy all over again. I wasn’t quite sure what to do with myself, so I baked a lot of cookies. I wish I’d known what was going to happen ahead of time because then I could have baked them for all the lovely people who showed up and passed them out, but I guess sharing them virtually will have to do for now. 

In the evening, my family and I ate Shakespeare’s pizza and my homemade cookies while watching the 2003 comedy series Slings & Arrows. Being able to laugh helped lighten my spirits. I feel as if there aren’t adequate words to express my thanks and appreciation for all the people I’ve interacted with during my high school career. All I’ve hoped to be able to do when looking back at my four years at RBHS is to see and know that (at least in some small way) I’ve left my mark. I think maybe now I’ll feel a tad more confident I’ve accomplished this, but there’s still some time left, and I’ve got a few more tricks tucked up my sleeves. I guess the world will just have to wait and see what I do next.

“Some people care too much. I think it’s called love.” ― A.A. Milne[TS_VCSC_Lightbox_Gallery content_images=”330910,330909,330908,330907,330906,330905,330904,330902,330900″ content_images_size=”full” content_images_titledata=”caption” content_title=”A glimpse into Bailey Stover’s 48th day of social distancing” data_grid_preloader=”-1″ lightbox_title=”caption” lightbox_effect=”simpleSwitch”][/TS_VCSC_Lightbox_Gallery][penci_text_block block_title_align=”style-title-left”]How did you spend your 48th day of social distancing? Let us know in the comments below.[/penci_text_block]