Bruinthon raises 14k “For the Kids”

Senior Rawan Edaba picks up her little brother from his wheelchair to danced with him during the RBHS Bruinthon event. The two of them swayed to Disney music during the dance marathon. Bruinthon raised $14,176.65,  $1,259.40 more than last year. Photo by Audrey Snyder.

In the RBHS main gym, students from Jeff City, Hickman and RBHS worked together to show support for Bruinthon club and its Mini Mizzouthon, the high school preliminary dance marathon charity feeding into the University’s much larger Mizzouthon, Saturday, March 7.

Bruinthon raised $14,176.65,  $1,259.40 more than last year. Those who raised more than $150 qualify for the main event Mizzouthon, which raised $290,561.16 last year, April 4.

Attendees danced and played games with kids from the Women’s and Children’s hospital from 11 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., raising money for the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at W&C. They also get  to meet the families their charity benefitted and hear their stories. Tommy and Margaret, two previous patients, had their stories told in between activities. 

“The marathon is broken into hour block schedules that have different themes, so the one we’re in right now is dedicated to Tommy and Margaret for Miracles in the Sky,” said Bruinthon captain and senior Greta Scheidt. “Margaret passed away last year and Tommy passed away four years ago.”

Scheidt began participating in Bruinthon her sophomore year after Tommy had already passed away but had met and danced with Margaret just last year. Stopping the festivities to watch a presentation on the stage, the students at Bruinthon heard stories about Tommy and Margaret from friends, family and volunteers who had known her. They all spoke about the impact Tommy and Margaret played in their lives and how they wouldn’t be forgotten. Additionally, speakers highlighted the help from the Women’s and Children’s hospital. 

From 1-2 p.m. Tommy and Margaret’s families asked volunteers to raise $20 more each in honor of these kids for “Tommy’s Power Hour,” and Bruinthon kicked into high gear. After the presentation participants played a twerking golf ball game, learned choreography of the annual Mizzouthon dance, texted friends and family, asking for more donations and waved glow sticks of Tommy and Margaret’s favorite colors.

“My favorite part so far is dancing with the kids and winning the twerking challenge,” senior Sergio Pico said. “So far I’ve raised $55.”

On a break to update the board tracking each member’s donations, juniors Halle Paulus and Faith Harrison led the rest with donations totaling over $200 each. Both said they were motivated through personal connections to the hospital.

“I decided to sign up since I have a personal connection to Bruinthon through my nephew,” said Paulus. “He almost passed away due to certain difficulties, and I know the Womens and Childrens Hospital is a huge part of his life and so many other children’s lives like him.”

Harrison is an officer alongside Paulus, helping plan, decorate and organize the event. She, too, signed up based on personal experience with the organization.

“My family’s always been very medical, so we found out about it through the hospital,” Harrison said. “My favorite part is just dancing with my friends. I think it’s really fun to just act like a fool.”

For months now, officers Harrison, Paulus, senior Maddie Orr and Scheidt have spread the word about Bruinthon to every friend, every group chat, every student and every social media follower. Paulus and Orr even convinced RBHS Student Council to choose Bruinthon as the official charity and benefactor of courtwarming, imploring as many people as possible to join or donate “FTK,” for the kids. 

“I love the kids’ smiles and their infectious personalities,” senior Katelyn Weatherford said. ”The best part is seeing the kids, hanging out with everyone and knowing it’s for a good cause.”

Did you donate to Bruinthon? Let us know in the comments.