RBHS hosts Fine Arts Extravaganza for CPS fifth graders

Junior Allie Bell answers questions about photography Jan. 8. “I was there to teach the kids in fifth grade about my experience in the art program, as well was what we have been working on this year in photography specifically,” Bell said. “I also got to demonstrate how we use our equipment an show some of my work.” Photo by Turner DeArmond.

Gaggles of fifth grade students from throughout Columbia Public Schools (CPS) rotated between the Auxiliary Gym and Performing Arts Center to watch as various RBHS fine arts students presented their work for the Fine Arts Extravaganza Jan. 8. Fine art classes, including Photography and Advanced Placement Two-Dimensional Art and Design, organized booths while show choir and theater students performed their respective pieces. RBHS art teacher and coordinator of the Fine Arts Extravaganza Abigail Gorsage said she hoped the event would increase interest for fine arts courses and compel the fifth graders to consider a focus on fine arts as they enter middle school.

“The goal is to allow the fifth graders to experience the different fine arts opportunities that we have with CPS. That way they go into middle school knowing what is out there for them,” Gorsage said. “Even if they can’t do all those things in middle school, they know that [fine arts classes] are also available as a high school student. So it’s to help them plan for their educational future.”

Gorsage said she chose students in advanced and intermediate arts courses to participate and lead the function based on their interest, availability and social skills. Junior Kellen Sapp performed as a member of the Chamber Choir, and he said the fifth graders seemed to find a new appreciation for CPS’s many artistic opportunities. 

“I really enjoyed it and have had a lot of fun the past two years helping in different capacities,” Sapp said. “I think the kids had a lot of fun. It seemed like a lot of them really were excited to keep doing choir or join the show choir.”

In the Auxiliary Gym, sophomore Lucas Tennyson sat behind one of eight tables representing each of the different art classes and methods available at RBHS. As different set of children gathered around each table in ten minute rotations, Tennyson talked to each group about his class’s focus on painting and drawing. Tennyson said he enjoyed getting to interact with the excited students.

“It was actually pretty fun. It was nice to see so many kids being enthusiastic about the arts while also allowing them to talk to someone older [students] about highschool,” Tennyson said. “When they realized they can actually draw things they enjoy rather than all still life or other technical things they seemed much more excited to get moving in art. I think it’s because they know now they can like draw anime if they want to [or] they can draw a dragon. It’s not all like a fruit bowl or whatever.”

Tennyson said that the event was a success and kept the students engaged and listening. Despite the time constraint of half a day, Gorsage agreed and said the hands on attention helped create a lasting impact on the fifth graders. 

“The kids seem really enthused by what our artists are doing. They’re asking the questions at some of the tables and they actually get to try their hand at some of the art,” Gotsage said. “It’s really an immersive experience for what we can do in a short amount of time.”

Are you involved in fine arts? Let us know in the comments below.[penci_image_gallery images=”324700,324699,324698,324696,324693,324621,324622,324623,324624,324625,324626,324627,324619,324618,324617,324616,324615,324595,324596″ auto_time=”4000″ speed=”800″ block_title_align=”style-title-left”]