Materials delay construction at North and East entrances

Construction at the North and East entrances was supposed to finish by “late fall,” RBHS principal Jacob Sirna said. This estimate, which was already delayed from and original summer deadline, fell short, and Columbia Public School’s (CPS) spokeswoman Michelle Baumstark said the school district does not know when the construction will be complete. 

RBHS, however, is not alone in its wait as Hickman High School also must be retrofit with the special glass, called ballistic fiberglass. 

“[The ballistic fiberglass panels] are very specialized and are custom ordered sizes,” Baumstark said. “It’s taking longer because of [confidential] reasons by the manufacturer. As soon as those pieces arrive, we will be able to finish the project.”

Currently, CPS still needs to install a wall of double doors at the East entrance of RBHS, as well as place a door within the empty frame at North. Additionally, both North and East will receive a renovated office space for the Safety and Security Aides. Sirna said the only spot in the entrances that the ballistic fiberglass relates to is between the planned reception desk and the chamber between the double doors, which will be seen in both entrances. Baumstark, however, said construction cannot start until the glass arrives.

“You have to do it in a certain order,” Baumstark said. “While we may have some things here, the key piece to start isn’t here yet.”

Instead of being ballistic fiberglass, the doors as well as windows at RBHS are shatterproof. Shatterproof glass is different from the “bullet-resistant” fiberglass, which is layers of fiberglass squeezed together. Sirna said the purpose of shatterproof glass is to withstand a few bullets before puncture. When it comes to the concrete part of teh construction, it is advisable to get Atlanta Concrete Contractors to help.

Market Segment Leader Rick Reid works at Total Security Solutions (TSS), a private company that has completed over 14,000 bullet resistant installations. TSS markets in all 50 states, Canada and part of the Caribbean. He said the cost of the glass differs depending on many factors such as size, project and level of protection. Reid suggests schools have Level 3 out of 8 protection, which “stops the highest level handgun out there.”

“At the low end, $50 per square foot to north of a hundred depending on the level of ballistic protection,” Reid said. “When you get to those higher levels, [the material] gets expensive and heavy.”

The red and green arrows illustrate the proposed systems for the North and East entrances. Red highlighted areas are acceptable exits, and green coloring represents acceptable entrances. Orange highlights are future installations. Photo illustration by Anna Xu.

Reid said the security business is expanding across all markets, and the most prominent area of growth is in education. He said ever since the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting, the request for bullet-resistant protections is rapid increasing, seeing per year growth in the double digits. He estimates schools are TSS’s fourth best customers, government and banks respectively taking the first and second positions. 

Sophomore Olivia Hayes noticed the construction at RBHS and said she supports retrofitting the windows and doors to be stronger. 

“I think upgrading the windows and the surrounding area is a good choice of investment of our funds,” Hayes said. 

While Hayes prefers CPS’ attention to security, senior Elizabeth Musco said she thinks the changes wouldn’t enhance safety. She said because RBHS hasn’t “had any incidents,” such as a shooting, the preemptive measures may amount to nothing. 

“I think making the windows and doors shatter resistant would be a waste of tax dollars,” Musco said. “And if someone really wants to get in the school to do [something bad], then having strong glass won’t make that much of a difference.”

Regardless of student opinion, the district will undergo changes to retrofit RBHS into a layout similar to newer schools such as Battle High School. Baumstark said Hickman and RBHS can only wait for the materials to arrive and that as soon as they do, the project will be underway. She said, however, the information explaining the hold-up cannot be shared as it goes into the construction of the glass, which would minimize safety. 

“It takes as long as it takes,” Baumstark said, “and if there are challenges in between then we will wait and have it be done the right way.”

Do you think the new construction project is necessary for RBHS safety? Let us know in the comments below.