Young children should be kept away from technology

Four freshmen stand immersed in their phones. Photo by Inyoung Kim

Generation Z is a young generation that grew alongside technology, unlike previous. The generation has and will continue the usage of technology because of their environment, but to what extent?

American citizens should be able to use technology, but young children should be kept apart from the devices until they have the ability of ethical knowledge. 

The average time children spend to engage with mobile devices, such as a smartphone or a tablet, has tripled since 2013 from 15 to 48 minutes. The numbers continue to rise as the child ages and gains personal devices that are free from parental supervision. 

Fifty percent of teens have social media before they enter high school. Social media is frequently used as a platform to create an image of oneself, in other words a screen to hide behind.

The images create unrealistic expectations that other users potentially compare themselves upon. The repetitive process often leads to a lack of self esteem and difficulty in getting a job. 

To gain a job, it is necessary for one to advertise themselves, but with a low self esteem they are not aware of their advantages or positive aspects. In a severe case, depression or anxiety could take place.

Secondly, technology causes a lack of face to face interactions and conversation skills. For example, texting causes a lack in physical communication skills, because each person has time to process and plan their thoughts while typing. During a conversation the flow must be smooth, and each person must be able to interact with one another on the spot.

Lastly, extended periods of technology usage can cause health issues such as digital eye strain. Technology devices produce blue light that damages the eyes. The blue light penetrates the eye all the way to the retina that contains light-sensitive cells. Imprudent usage of technology or too much blue light exposure to the retina will most likely lead to macular degeneration also known as permanent vision loss. 

While technology can cause a lack of self esteem, it can also assist children to have comfortable interactions and raise self-esteem.

For instance, 91% of kids between ages 2 and 17 participate in video games. During games, players use characters to represent themselves. As said above, a cause of low self-esteem is through comparison of an unrealistic physical appearance. 

The characters eradicate the process of judgment, and the freedom from judgment helps players to initiate a carefree conversation without bias. 

Experience through comfortable interactions help build confidence over conversation skills. Confidence helps find personal advantages. When one acquires individual advantages and the skill to use them to their benefit, self-esteem will increase because they realize their importance and specialties. 

Creative thinking will innovate technology, but the technology does not ensure creativity of our youth. We all must put down their screens for physical amusement in order to enrich imagination.   

Do you think children should be kept away from technology? Let us know in the comments below.