Math Club places second at relay

Math+Club+poses+for+a+picture+after+the+awards+ceremony+at+California+High+School+Dec.+7.+Photo+courtesy+by+Kevin+Taylor.+
Math Club poses for a picture after the awards ceremony at California High School Dec. 7. Photo courtesy by Kevin Taylor.

Math Club competed in a relay at California High School on Dec. 7 and placed second overall in the tournament. The organization of the competition is divided into many events that test concepts closely related to what a student could learn in a math class. Club sponsor Kevin Taylor said these competitions aren’t solely reserved to club members but that any students who enjoys math is welcome, no matter the skill level. He said he has tried to recruit members from various classes, and he also encourages more students to join the club. 

Sophomore Nina Schneider said this was her first competition. She placed in several events such as first in trigonometry, third in manual composition and fifth in word problems.

“After going to California, I want to go again because it is a very low-key environment; there’s not a lot of pressure,” Schneider said. “It’s just a good day with my friends that also gets the brain working a little and makes you feel good about yourself when you place.”

Taylor said the crowd of attendees has grown over the years. He encourages more to participate to practice math in a positive way. 

“Anybody who is doing well in a regular or honors math class can have success at these contests,” Taylor said. “I think it’s a pretty fun atmosphere because there’s no pressure to be insanely good at math. You can go into a contest and know that your skills are going to be measured against others who are very similar to you.”

Senior Tien Truong is an active member of math club. She hopes to go into a STEM field in the future and enjoys these competitions. 

“I would do it again,” Truong said,” because math team has been such an experience where I can learn so much about other people and math itself.”

Taylor said he hopes more students open their minds to the possibility of spending a Saturday to practicing math competition. He said students will most likely appreciate the experience. 

“I think the main goal is to enjoy experiencing competitions in math,” Taylor said. “For a lot of these kids they haven’t ever seen that there talents in math class can be measured against people they haven’t met before, and anytime you compete against somebody you’ve never met its very exciting.”