Referential replication: Alex Pardee

A few years ago, I came across an amazing piece of art that looked like nothing I had ever seen before. Alex Pardee, a freelance artist,  was the creator of this artwork, who is a freelance artist. Pardee’s art immediately called to me, and I’ve been hooked ever since. 

He uses bright and unrealistic colors in his artwork, which draws the eye to his art. Most of Pardee’s paintings and drawings have a creepy and unnerving element because of the individualized style he has developed. The focus of his paintings is often monsters or creatures that help convey a disturbing nature.  His art is extremely recognizable because of the uniqueness of his pieces.

This artwork is a part of Pardee’s series “Letters from Digested Children,” which apart from the beautifully creepy name, is an excellent example of his use of colors and textures. Source:  http://www.alexpardee.com/

He experiments with textures such as drips, splatters and fluid movements within his work. Pardee utilizes inks, watercolors and dyes as prominent mediums. They allow him to achieve the bleeding effects he seems to strive for. Pardee’s use of vibrant colors shows how he wants the viewer to digest his art. He often uses contrasting bold and dull tones to lead the viewer’s attention to various parts of the page. 

The image to the left is an example of the textures and colors Pardee often applies to his work. The drips fall down from the large character, leading the viewer’s eye to the smaller character at the bottom of the page. The colors he chose become much lighter as they enclose the smaller child-like being.

In the past, I have tried to create pieces of art that reflected Pardee’s style, but I have never quite been successful. His artwork is so different and unique to the more traditional styles of art that it’s hard to replicate, but I attempted re-creating his artwork once again and I believe that it was more successful this time around.

The drawing to the right is the art piece I created inspired by Pardee’s work.  His artwork incorporates both realistic and unrealistic components which was quite difficult for me to grasp.  Another difficulty I experienced was trying to achieve the drippy and melting-like effects that are prominent in many of Pardee’s pieces.  

Along with struggling with my hardships, I thoroughly enjoyed getting to experiment with fun colors that I don’t usually use.  After this study of Pardee’s work, I am so excited to apply brighter color-palettes and creepy factors to my future artworks. 

What are your thoughts on Alex Pardee’s work? Let us know in the comments below.