Students to explore post-secondary opportunities at CCV

Counseling prepares for the College and Career Village (CCV)

As crisp autumn leaves begin to fall, the counseling department prepares for its biennial College and Career Village (CCV) an event offering post-secondary information and tips to students  from 10:15 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 11. The college fair will be held in both the commons and gym. 

Last week in classes, students registered for CCV via a poll on the RBHS homepage. They selected their top choices from a list of panels composed of professionals from various occupations, presentations with postsecondary advice and the college fair. 

In addition to representatives from nearly 70 organizations scheduled to appear at the college fair, 29 panels geared toward various careers ranging from dance instructors to occupational therapists and 11 presentations on post-secondary opportunities, students have unique options for lunch. Food trucks to appear in the circle drive from 11:40 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. include Lilly’s Cantina, Kona Ice, Big Daddy’s BBQ and Ozark Mountain Biscuit Co.  

Before venturing to the food vendors, though, students will sit in on panels, listen to presentations or visit the college fair, which will run until 12:30 p.m. The CCV began in 2012 and serves to prepare students for life after high school by connecting them to members in the community, showing the relevance of coursework during high school and exposing them to colleges, careers and other post-secondary opportunities. 

The panels, organized by the six Missouri career paths, or “clusters,” include Arts & Communications, Human Services, Business Management and Technology, Industrial and Engineering Technology, Health Services and Natural Resources and Agriculture. Each panel includes a series of speakers who have jobs or connections in a particular field. Students have the opportunity to ask questions, learn about internships and hear from professionals about their experiences working in different jobs, according to the CCV information presentation counselors showed students in classes.

In addition, students signed up to hear specialty presentations designed to provide information for life after high school. The presentations include a variety of topics such as interviewing skills, resume writing and military careers. 

Sophomore Nick Kovaleski said it’s his first year attending CCV. He said he signed up for panels featuring computer engineering to learn more about the field.

“I [signed up for those panels] because I was interested in hearing more about how jobs like that work and what all they entail,” Kovaleski said. “[Computer engineering] has always been something I’ve been into, so I guess now I get to check it out.”  

Kovaleski, however, said he did not sign up for any of the post-secondary presentations and does not plan on attending the college fair. He said while he does not know exactly where he wishes to go for college, he has sources to help him and plans to research on his own.

“I have a parent at Mizzou [who teaches electromagnetic fields], and they have a good engineering program, so that seems like my backup for anywhere else,” Kovaleski said. “Purdue is the top of my list because they have an excellent engineering program.”

Those who plan to attend the college fair can play College Bingo and submit their completed Bingo card for a chance to win prizes ranging from free Andy’s concretes to free courtwarming tickets. The counseling page also suggests questions for students to consider when talking with college representatives.   

Students such as junior Charlotte Tolly will not be able to attend the full CCV event because of outside commitments. Tolly, along with other Speech and Debate members, will leave before the second half of CCV to compete in a tournament at Parkway West High School in St. Louis. 

While she takes advantage of college visits the counseling department offers, Tolly said she has never been to CCV because she moved to Columbia last year. This is her only opportunity to attend because she will graduate before the next event.    

“There are other opportunities for college visits,” Tolly said, “but missing out on a wide variety of colleges and careers giving out information at the same time feels limiting.” 

While offering CCV every other year may not allow all students to attend, Director of Counseling Rachel Reed said the reasoning behind the event’s frequency is to maintain its attraction to students. In addition, Reed said students’ may develop different post-secondary goals over time. 

“We offer the CCV every other year. This way, students experience it once as an underclassman, ninth or tenth grade, and once as an upperclassman, 11th or 12th grade, when plans may have changed from earlier in their high school career, or ideas have become more solidified,” Reed said. “We also want to keep it ‘fresh,’ and offering it every year might make it less exciting [or] appealing for students.”

Although unable to attend the whole CCV, Tolly said she signed up for an arts and communications panel during the first session to explore potential careers in the field. She said she is considering DePaul University for her post-secondary education and is also interested in pursuing animation as a career. 

Kovaleski, on the other hand, has several years to adjust his plans before the next CCV, yet he believes it is an important opportunity. Moreover, he thinks planning for the future early alleviates some anxieties about post high school life in the long run.

“I think it’s important to set goals and think ahead,” Kovaleski said, “so that you don’t stress out when such an important decision is rushed.”

Which CCV activities did you sign up to attend? Let us know in the comments below.