Global Issues hosts events to raise money for Syria

Senior Sumidha Katti and other Global Issues members mingle and eat pita bread and hummus at a meeting earlier in the year to decide which events to hold.
In an effort to raise money for Syrian refugees and the people of Syria who are suffering as a result of the violence during their revolution, Global Issues club will be hosting Trivia Night at RBHS starting at 6 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 5.
Senior Rasheeq Nizam, one of the co-presidents of Global Issues, helped organize last week’s Game Night event and is also organizing Trivia Night. At Game Night students played a variety of games such as a Game of Life game played on a Smart Board, Cranium, Taboo and a game of sardines played throughout the school. Nizam said the club had decided on Game Night and Trivia Night as the two main fundraisers because they are engaging ways to get people to help the cause.
“The event was not as successful as we’d hoped,” Nizam said. “But it was at least fun for those involved and raised some money, so it wasn’t all bad.”
The club required a $3 entry fee at the event to raise money for Life for Relief and Development. Nizam said the organization will provide refugees with basic needs such as food, shelter, water and medicine that the revolution left them without.
However, Global Issues will also host Movie Night this week, which will be held at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 4. It will simply be an awareness event where the club will show a documentary called “½ Revolution,” filmed in Cairo during the 2011 Egyptian revolution.
Senior Rebecca Burke-Aguero thinks the movie will give students an idea of what Syrian citizens are going through currently and help get people involved in Trivia Night.
“Hopefully [Trivia Night will have a better turnout than Game Night], and we can get our friends to come,” said Burke-Aguero, who did not attend last year because of a conflict with show choir.
Nizam said Trivia Night will be the main event Global Issues is hosting next week at 6:30 Wednesday, Dec. 5. Last year, Trivia Night was successful, attracting close to 100 people and raising about $500.
“I hope that this year’s Trivia Night will be as successful as those in the past,” Nizam said. “And we’re putting a lot of work into it to get it there.”
By Ipsa Chaudhary