Last Chance swim meet proves emotional for seniors

Girls+swim+competed+against+Hickman%2C+Battle%2C+and+Hannibal+high+school+swimmers%2C+Saturday%2C+Feb.+2+
Girls’ swim competed against Hickman, Battle, and Hannibal high school swimmers, Saturday, Feb. 2
[vc_gallery interval=”3″ images=”309434,309433,309429,309428,309427″]Girls’ swimming and diving competed at Hickman High School at 11:00 on Saturday, Feb. 2. The ‘Last Chance’ meet was a final opportunity to hit state marks and the last meet before state, which is Feb. 14 – 15. RBHS competed against Hickman high school , Battle high school, and Hannibal high school. RBHS at the meet, however, there were no additional state qualifiers. “[The meet is] used as more of a senior standoff meet than anything” Senior Piper Osman said.
For her final meet, senior Ashley Stewart reflected on her swimming career:
“An experience that I have been waiting for since my freshman year, to be a senior and have senior night,” Stewart said. “It was so much fun seeing all my teammates come together and celebrate the last meet of the season! I will really miss it more than I thought and the last meet was definitely a good one.”
“I started swimming when I was 6 and stopped when I was 11. I joined high school swim my junior year”, Stewart said. “My favorite [part of swim] was traveling with the team, and my least favorite was waking up so early in the morning.”
This meet was made especially emotional for seniors. At the end of the meet, swimmers from all schools joined hands to create a tunnel for the graduating seniors to walk through. Teammates handed Seniors roses and were accompanied by either a friend or parents. Smiles and words of encouragement greeted the swimmers while announcements about seniors played overhead.
“I’ve been watching people walk through that tunnel since I was a freshman.” Senior Piper Osman said. “I never imagined I’d do the same thing, just because it seemed so far in the future. But, here we are”