StuCo hosts first fall carnival

Eight Grade Jefferson Junior Middle School student and future RBHS alum Brooke Novinger is in the middle of a face painting session. “I have never face painted before; I like to draw and so I thought face painting would be fun.”
Photo by George Frey / Bearing News
Eight Grade Jefferson Junior Middle School student and future RBHS alum Brooke Novinger is in the middle of a face painting session. “I have never face painted before; I like to draw and so I thought face painting would be fun.” Photo by George Frey / Bearing News

Hot cocoa, ball toss and booths from RBHS clubs. Kids walked the main courtyard to play games and receive candy. Parents made donations to clubs such as Model United Nations and Young Democrats. Student Council held its first fall carnival from 4-9 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 27.
The idea came from Student Council (STUCO) President Drew Morris and senior member Piper Page. Because the carnival was RBHS’ first, Morris did not know what to expect.
“I expected a lower turnout at the beginning because of the Mizzou game, but as the game has come to a close the attendance has dramatically gone up,” Student Council President Drew Morris said. “We’re pulling in crowds from the Haunted House and Trunk or Treat from previous years, so its continuing to grow.”
Not only was this event made for the community to come together, but it also united RBHS clubs. Giving Girls Opportunities, Gay Straight Alliance, Young Republicans and Spanish Club all worked together to make the carnival fun, memorable and beneficial to RBHS.
For five hours, the fall carnival drew a crowd from all over Columbia. For sophomore Izzie Krietmeyer, the event gave exposure to all activities around RBHS.
“I think it’s good that everyone is out here this time,” Krietmeyer said, “so that more people recognize more clubs so it’s not just STUCO being recognized for the school.”
After seeing such a great turnout from this occasion, Morris said Student Council hopes the fall carnival, along with the Haunted House and trunk or treat, will be an annual part of RBHS and a fall tradition. Freshman Jamirria Brewster felt the Fall Carnival was beneficial in uniting different groups of people.
“This really [brought] the community together:  meeting new people and having fun,” Brewster said. “Hopefully next year we’ll have even more people.”