Soccer looks to improve against MHS

Senior Freddy Nene takes the ball down the field against HHS Sept. 18. The Bruins fell to the Kewpies with a score of 1-0. Photo by Allie Pigg.
With a 7-4-0 record, boys’ soccer will travel to take on Marquette High School tonight.
Head coach Scott Wittenborn hopes to use tonight as well as the rest of the season to show what the Bruins are made of.
“We’ve won several games fairly convincingly, but are still looking for a signature win against a top opponent in the state,” Wittenborn said. Last season, the team made districts but lost 3-1 to Smith-Cotton.
“We are learning with every game and becoming a more complete team,” Wittenborn said.
In preparation for each game, the athletes practice everything from strategy to mindful thinking. Senior goalie Carson Linder said the team even reads about staying driven.
“We have been focused on the process this year,” Linder said. “Our coach has had us read a motivational book that talks about enjoying the process, and we focus on one game at a time.”
Additionally, senior forward Nate Durdle said the team focuses on spots which need improvement.
“We prepare for games by running over sequences that are game-like,” Durdle said. “And getting into a mindset of what each individual is going to do to help the team in the game.”
Keeping up a high morale is important, Durdle said.
The team also keeps the bigger picture in mind with every game.
“As an end goal, we want to become a team with urgency,” Durdle said. “But [also] calm and not forcing anything right away. [We want to] start to capitalize more and more on goal scoring opportunities.”
Unlike other divided teams, junior midfielder Preston Fancher said the players have bonded well and as a result, play well with each other.
“Lots of boys on the team have played together all throughout middle school,” Fancher said. “So we get along together well and [it] makes playing on the team easier.”
The team plans on using a variety of methods, like keeping control of the ball and taking advantage of their forwards, to improve its record.
The players already have a full grasp and intend to keep working on these strategies.
“[We plan on] using our ability to pass the ball around to keep possession throughout the game,” Fancher said. “And then [we plan to] capitalize on the opportunities we have on goal with our speed up top.”

How will you cheer on the Bruins? Let us know in the comments below.