Pop-up art promotes kindness

Inspirational quotes and butterflies filled the sidewalks of downtown Columbia as students from around the city chipped in to promote kindness. The event kicked off “Acts of Kindness Week” created by the organization Children’s Grove to bring awareness of the importance of being kind.
Through May 5, Children’s Grove will promote a variety of projects ranging from a community kindness paper chain to planting trees throughout Columbia, all in the spirit of being kind.
“On April 30, Children’s Grove with the downtown district worked together to chalk the sidewalks with kind words and butterflies,” said Joyce Smith, a local volunteer. “The importance of Kindness is like opening an umbrella when it is raining. The umbrella of kindness includes understanding, respect, compassion, inclusivity and just being a kind person. Kindness is a needed ingredient in our daily lives.”
Lee Elementary School brought students to color the sidewalks near the intersection of Broadway and East 9 St. Joining in on the project, was Smithton Middle Schooler Sunny Ślusarz who traveled downtown after school had dismissed. She, like many who are involved with Children’s Grove believe Kindness is important in today’s world.
“As a society we keep trying to put each other down to make ourselves look better, but if we are all kind to one another, then everyone will be much happier and we are gonna want to do more,” Ślusarz said. “I like art, and all of the colors on the streets. I think it’s really pretty.”
Children’s Grove works with youth around Columbia teaching and building mental health according to their website. They are strong believers that even the smallest acts of kindness can change someone’s life, with their tag line being ‘A Single Act of Kindness Can Change A Life Forever,.
“Children’s Grove is a non-profit, all volunteer organization paying it forward to our community,” Smith said. “Our outreach has been valued and appreciated by our wonderful Columbia community.”